Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saab 9-3 Viggen

Bought a 2000 Saab Viggen, and my last Saab was auto with a turbo... but before i go to pick my car up, i need some gear shifting tips with the turbocharger.......

im only 19 so i havent driven many cars and my mom's stang was stick but no type of charger.....

any advice is greatly appreciated

thanks

-Radek

·
Registered
35 Posts
try not to whine the engine out to redline saab engines seem to run out of breath over 5500rpm....take it there and shift even though redline is at 6k

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
First get rid of the PFR6-H10 plugs and get some nice NGK BCPR7ES-11's ... that'll make the car run much nicer if it's ever warm out.
As for shifting driving around town I usually shift below 3K rpms as this gives better gas mileage. But if you're going to shift to race, the Viggen has lots of nice top end despite being a torque moster. Feel free to shift at 6K rpm for quickest accelleration. Some of the older Saabs did feel like they ran out of breath. But as long as the Viggen is stock it'll breath just fine. Also feel free to look at my 2002 Viggen.

http://groups.msn.com/TheSaabGuy

It's very
Soon I should be getting some custom one of a kind cross drilled rotors for the front of it, and some not so one of a kind cross drilled for the rear. Hafta see how that goes. Keep on Saabin'!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Adrian W:
[qb]First get rid of the PFR6-H10 plugs and get some nice NGK BCPR7ES-11's ... that'll make the car run much nicer if it's ever warm out.    
     As for shifting driving around town I usually shift below 3K rpms as this gives better gas mileage.  But if you're going to shift to race, the Viggen has lots of nice top end despite being a torque moster.  Feel free to shift at 6K rpm for quickest accelleration.        Some of the older Saabs did feel like they ran out of breath.  But as long as the Viggen is stock it'll breath just fine.  Also feel free to look at my 2002 Viggen.  

http://groups.msn.com/TheSaabGuy  

It's very    
           Soon I should be getting some custom one of a kind cross drilled rotors for the front of it, and some not so one of a kind cross drilled for the rear.  Hafta see how that goes.  Keep on Saabin'! [/qb][/b]
Im likin the Viggen, not a fan of the 4 door, but A VIGGEN IS A VIGGEN n thats all that matters... primo ride bro.. ill have pictures up by the weekend of mine

·
Registered
374 Posts
Good work Adrian...what is that body color on that Viggen? looks good! please take a look at my non-viggen saab!...do you have any other plans for it>?
2000 9-3se

·
Registered
374 Posts
but sorry yes...about the original question.... i have only owned one non turbo car..but i shift the same in all of them...FAST!

just let it cool down if youve been running it hard! thats the best advice ive heard about a turbo car...i think...eithr way its a good idea!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The color of my car I believe is just called "Gray Metallic". Not a neat name like Lightening Blue metallic or Monte Carlo Yellow ... but nevertheless I really love the color. Your car is pretty neat looking as well. Should beware though that the clear corners are technically illegal in the US. But if you don't tell the fuzz I won't.

It's amazing how similar the B235R (viggen motor) and the B205R (2.0 HO SE motor) look on the outside isn't it? Same airbox, intake etc ... only external differences are the Valve cover's Viggen label, the little 2.3 turbo on the intake manifold cover if you leave it on, and the Larger TD04HL-15T Viggen turbo that is nearly indistinguishable from the outside with the heat shield in place. You know if you're ever down near LA you should stop by here and I'll give ya a ride.

Oh and Radek ... the licensing and insurance on a 4 door is WAY cheaper ... and you still get the same
kinda performance.

EVERYONE CHECK OUT THE VID!!!

http://195.237.18.37/viggen/adrian.wmv

May not be the fastest Saab on Saabscene ... but there's something addictive about watching the speedometer fly.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I like that color alot too! yeah thad be great, i was actualy down south this last weekend..thanks for the offer..ill have to let you know next time im around there...about the clear corners..i think if i leave the amber bulb in there the cops wont care too much..i hope!...what isnt illeagle in california!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[qb]The color of my car I believe is just called "Gray Metallic".  Not a neat name like Lightening Blue metallic or Monte Carlo Yellow ... but nevertheless I really love the color.        Your car is pretty neat looking as well.  Should beware though that the clear corners are technically illegal in the US.  But if you don't tell the fuzz I won't.      

It's amazing how similar the B235R (viggen motor) and the B205R (2.0 HO SE motor) look on the outside isn't it?  Same airbox, intake etc ... only external differences are the Valve cover's Viggen label, the little 2.3 turbo on the intake manifold cover if you leave it on, and the Larger TD04HL-15T Viggen turbo that is nearly indistinguishable from the outside with the heat shield in place.  You know if you're ever down near LA you should stop by here and I'll give ya a ride.    

Oh and Radek ... the licensing and insurance on a 4 door is WAY cheaper ... and you still get the same    
    kinda performance.        

EVERYONE CHECK OUT THE VID!!!  

http://195.237.18.37/viggen/adrian.wmv  

May not be the fastest Saab on Saabscene ... but there's something addictive about watching the speedometer fly.      [/qb][/b]
Totally true bro ... me and my dad went 50/50 on the car so my insurance is only $123 a month (for a 19 year old) so thats not my biggest worry right now... the rubber will be after i race it a few times :S!!!!! haha... ummm about shifting... if im reving around 3000, and i wanna get an instant kick, should i gear it down and floor the pedal, or should i just floor the pedal and let the turbo do its thing?

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Best thing to do on a turbo with as wobbly a chassis is a viggen is to feed the throttle in gradually not just plant it fully... stops stupid torque steer wheelspin.

If your sitting at over 2000rpm in any gear you are in the turbo's sweet-spot.. the torque's plateau is between around 2000rpm and 5000rpm. So keep it between 2K and 5K and you'll shift well.

There is nothing to be gained bouncing it off the rev limiter.. it's not a fancy variable cam engine, and doesn't need high revs to create max torque.. thats what the Turbo is there for. Honda could only dream for such a wide torque band.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I second Mark's answer. Lots of
even at low RPM. BUT if you really want to pass someone, never hurts to downshift. If you're already above 3K RPM though downshifting is pretty pointless because of the Viggen's gear ratios. And as for being able tot step on it at 2000 rpm ... well at that RPM the Viggen has a fair amount of boost lag. I'd say if you want to go someplace "quickly" anything below 2500 is gonna be a little hesitant. The car may have it's best torque down low, but it also has two catalytic converters and two mufflers which don't really help with turbo lag. Typically if I want to get a move on quickly if I'm going under 40 mph I downshift to 2nd, anywhere between 40-70 and I downshift to third, anything over 70 and it's 4th. Unless you really really want to pass someone, because 3rd gear does go to 100 mph, though at that speed you won't notice a big difference between it and 4th.
Anyway ... have fun. Viggens rock.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
[qb]Same airbox, intake etc ... only external differences are the Valve cover's Viggen label, the little 2.3 turbo on the intake manifold cover if you leave it on, and the Larger TD04HL-15T Viggen turbo that is nearly indistinguishable from the outside with the heat shield in place. [/qb][/b]
The B205R and 235R use the same Turbo according to the EPC...

Article : Turbocharger
PartNo : 9172180
Usage : 1999-2002, B205R, B235R
Order Quantity : 1

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Same turbo? That makes sense, but I did not know that. :| I just remembered seeing the TD04 upgrade for the 2.0 engine so I assumed they all had a slightly smaller turbo.
Maybe they did some years and not others? I dunno. If they do have the TD04 that just means even more
than I thought.

·
Registered
374 Posts
WOW! i got a Td04 in mine..i had no clue! its a good day today!!

so then the only diff. between the two is the 2.3lt, logo, styling and ECU?...

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The Viggen has a few differences. I believe they use different heads, though that's not necessarily true. The Viggen has a few other special goodies as well. (I personally like it's stock exhaust note, though it's true it could be better) I wonder if the B205R uses the Nitrided piston pins, and Nimonic alloy exhaust valves? Runs nearabouts the same boost so it ought to. Does the SE also have the 4.05 final drive ratio and mandrel bent exhaust?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts