Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i bought my 9000lpt 1997 it had been standing for a year or so. when i drove it overboosted until cut out. took the car to garage bloke prodded about the wastegate area and told me to try it now. i did and everything was fine for 6 weeks, now for the last few days, when i use full power after warm up it cuts out, and then seems fine. is there any thing i can do ? is the wastegate sticking or should i look at a new wastegate.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sounds to me like the wastegate is still sticking and the guy didn`t do a thorough job. Whenever i had cars come in like that i would remove e-clip and wastegate rod and soak the arm in wd40 and keep working it back and forwards and keep applying wd40. Do this until it feels free. Also check the pipes leading to the turbo, as i had one have the same problem you have and one of the pipes had split. Hope to help.
Paul

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
The bpcv (boost pressure control valve) or APC solenoid (Automatic Performance Control) sits atop the radiator on the LHS of the car. It's got an electrical connection and 3 hoses attached to it. It modulates the pressure applied to the wastegate actuator, thus varying the boost pressure.

The 3 pipes are labelled from the top
C
W
R

To test whether it or your wastegate is the problem, you need to bypass it. To do this, disconnect the C and W pipes and join them together- a short piece of something like a plastic pen barrel will serve adequately. Alternatively, disconnect the C pipe from the solenoid and connect it directly to the actuator in place of the W pipe. You don't want to try this with the engine hot

If the problem goes away, then the APC solenoid is faulty. If not, then it's the wastegate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts