Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

Today, the turbo on my 94 Aero (2.0 Turbo) appears to have a major problem. I was on the highway and began to hear a grinding type of sound and noticed a loss in power. I took the next exit and noticed a loss in acceleration. While accelerating, I could hear the turbo to start spinning up, but then the wonderful whine sound turned into a grinding sound with no additional power.
The boost gauge has a white, then yellow bar path with orange to the right. The boost guage would go up to where the white and yellow meet and not go any farther.
On my drive back home, I noticed a power boost when I had to pass a car and saw the boost back to its normal position...immediately followed by the grinding sound, boost gauge dropping back to the white/yellow point and loss of power.

If I were to guess, the grinding sound sounds like a bearing.

I do not know if this is a turbo problem since it spins up under light loads...just doesn't give the normal boost and sounds bad. I wonder if it could be a wastegate problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated since there are no saab places I can take my car to that I trust in my area.

An americano living in naples italy.

regards,
john [email protected]

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
It sounds like the thrust bearing has gone and the turbine blades are rubbing against the casing. Quick check is to take the intake pipe off..1 jubilee clip and get hold of the end of the turbo and see how much movement there is. Lots of movement in and out and up and down equals knackered turbo!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
greetings...

thanks for the suggestion. i checked it out and the turbine is tight and secure. it also feels to spin very smoothly and the blades felt smooth, not indicating any damage.

hmmm, any other suggestions?

·
Registered
58 Posts
HAd a simalar problem with an old 900 2.0 t 1987 vintage.

Not grinding noise but "tinkling", diagnosis was stuck wastgate.

May be the same problem as occasionally you get good boost.

I think investigate the wastegate area and make sure all moves smothly and not stuck or too loose.

Best of luck

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem found...

There is a hose that connects to the bottom of the throttle body assembly via a brass fitting. The brass fitting came off. I was unable to figure out where it came from but it looks like it loops around to the front side of the engine near the turbo.
I connected the hose back up to the throttle body and everything is working fine now.

Thanks for the input to help me along the way!

Regards...

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hi jechilt,
I'm glad your problem is solved, and a bit surprised bucause I would never thought the problem could have been a little hose.

I'm glad too to find somebody from Italy like me, you're the first one I see around here. Hope you're having fun in this country.

Cheers,
Stefano

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Is that the approx 15mm dia hose? Mine blew the same hose off while overtaking a lorry!
The brass or copper fitting blew right out of the alloy throttle body, sounding like a crazy dump valve followed by wild revving and power loss. Fixed it with duct tape for a while but that was no good cos everytime I booted it, the hose came off again. Finally fixed it with "JB Weld" and it's still in place.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.