Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The boost on this old seadog '87 9K Turbo seems to be a little unwilling to get into the red zone on the boost gauge. Is there anyway I can adjust the Turbo in some way to try and get more out of her. I have never messed about without a turbo on one of these in my life. They ahve always proven relaible on everyone I've had with one, but this one seems to underboost just slightly....still quick mind you....especially when it looks like something in the breakers yard....you should see the face on the 3 series beamer drivers when I'm passing'em!

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
LOL nice one mate.

Since it's a old motor, perhaps you might not mind an experiment with a manual boost controller? These don't cost much and they're a common fitment to most tuned pre-trionic 9000's as it's difficult and expensive to get reprogrammed APC and injection units. The simplest way of all is to fit a bleed valve between the wastegate feed from the APC solenoid to reduce the pressure going to the wastegate thus delaying it's response!

Going the "legit" route, it may be that the APC solenoid is knackered, so a replacement may yield an increase in performance. They're £100 from eurocarparts (i.e. not cheap!), but you could probably find one from a breaker.

HTH

Jase.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I have an 87 9000 T.. and i just opened the APC computer, did a lil soldering, and adjusted the Boost Pressure potentiometer... that makes it hit borderline red on 91 RON ULP.. when i go on holidays, im gonna fill her up with 98 RON Caltex's Vortex Gold.. then we will see how the mod went with good fuel.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there anywhere I can read up on how the turbo and associated components interface with each other or someone that will explain on here,as I'm still a little bit non-plussed on what each item does beyond the basics.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Read the site, very interesting actually except I understand the concepts of how a Turbo works, just not all the other bits like APC, wastegate pipe enlarger...I've even heard the term clocking them up whatever thats a,ll about. Can someone explain this and from what I can see there isn't any way I can increase the performance of the Turbo without modification. It cannot really be underperforming from whjat I have read unless one of the pipes is split or is worn which I dont think it is. Am I getting warm?????!!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.