Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Here goes my first post. I currently own a Saab 9000 1992 CS 2.0 16v. I was wondering if I could fit a 1993 2.0 or 2.3 16v Turbo engine in to it? If I can does anyone know what I need to do this. i.e. wiring looms different gearbox ect.

Also anyon got any tips on fitting a new handbrake cable as mine has stretched over the years.

Many Thanks
Dan,.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Dan, it depends on which displacement engine you use, IIRC. The 2.3 FPT uses a different set of drivers and intermediate shaft,
bearing support holders, final-gear ratios, etc., than the 2.0. But any '92 to '93 CS drivetrain combination can be used. And it would be wise to change the whole wiring harness, too, which means a bit of rewiring in the aquarium. It really depends on the specifics of which engine you use. The handbrake cables, there's two - one to each rear wheel, could have stretch, but it is more likely that the pads or the adjustment screw in the caliper need to be looked at. There's also an adjustment nut at the handbrake lever, but that is adjusted after you do the screw at the calipers.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Rob

I think I will probably go with a 2.0 16v Turbo out of a similar aged car not lpt though. I have changed the rear discs and pads and the screws, tighten the adjustment screws at the back but the pads have worn to match and the adjustment screws at the front are as tight as they will go.

Can anyone give me a list of the parts I need to rob off a 2.0 turbo in order to do this conversion.

Cheers

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
There's an awful lot of work involved in the conversion- apart from the mechanicals there's a plethora of loom changes required.

Perhaps some gauge of the difficulty and complexity of it can be had from the prices certain dealers charge for a "transplant". A lot more than the intrinsic value of the car IMO.

I'd save you time and effort and spend a little bit more dosh by flogging yours and buying a turbo, if that's what you want.

·
Registered
706 Posts
but the insurance would be a nightmare[/b]
Have you had any quotes?

If you phone around a lot, you should be able to get the insurance cost of a vehicle of that age and value down quite a bit.

The Aero will come better equipped than most and have slightly stiffer suspension etc than more 'standard' CS or CD's

Skiddins

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.