Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Yes, I think James has done this on his classic 900 when he had the abbott chargecooler fitted.

When I had my 900lpt - a chap fitted a separate boost gauge temporarily in order to check my boost level. Julian is currently looking at VDO calibrated boost gauges - I wuite like the idea of another gauge

Suppose it depends whether you want the in-binnacle gauge or a dedicated gauge?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Well remembered, John. Indeed, I had a boost gauge fitted when Abbot did their business to my 900, almost two years ago. It's apparently a fairly straightforward fitment, all Abbot did was swap the existing LPT fuel/temperature gauge for a fuel/temperature/boost gauge from a full-fat Turbo, and plumb it in. The most difficult bit, so they told me, was getting the dashboard back together ...

Worth noting, though, that unless you're planning on tweaking your LPT somewhat then a standard boost gauge - designed for an FPT - won't show much movement. Unlike mine, which goes almost half-way into the red on a good day

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
There is a take-off point on the inlet manifold for a boost gauge, which Saab dealers use to fit their calibrated gauge and I use for the same thing. It's got a rubber bung over it and sits next to the take-off point for the MAP sensor. You could plumb it in here. Alternatively, you could use a "tee" (my little TIM boost gauge came with one and some hose) into the vacuum hose that goes from the manifold down to the bypass valve. You're not supposed to tee into the MAP sensor takeoff, as this is very sensitive to its connection to the manifold.

Then all you have to do is find somewhere to put the gauge (sounds simple ), run the hose to it through the bulkhead (shouldn't be hard as there is provision to run the hose for the FPTs) and find somewhere to get a supply for the backlight.

The TIM gauge I bought goes up to 2 bar (I bought it for the Aero) and I just use it as a temporary instrument (I bought a housing for it), although it is designed to be dash-mounted. For an LPT, I'd get a gauge that doesn't go so high, so you can use a good proportion of the scale. TIM do a 1 bar version, but if you could find one that goes to 0.5 bar, it should be ideal (although someone told me some 2.0 LPTs went up to 0.55 bar - 1993?). That is assuming, of course, that you will be keeping the standard boost.

As far as mounting it is concerned, there is a DIN plate available from Saab, apparently, that can take three standard round gauges in the centre console. I've heard some people say that they put a boost gauge in place of the light switch and fitted the day-running-light fuse so the lights were permanently on. The advantage is that the gauge is easily visible (if you're rather taller than me!), but not everyone wants the DRLs.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I've mounted my add on gauge on top of the dash on my FPT, just to the left of the RH speaker grille with one of the surface-mounting pods you can buy. Held in place by double sided sticky
it stays fast as long as you wipe the surface first with alcohol. The lamp cable and air hose can then be easily fed up by removing the grille.

Personally I've used a Racetech and prefer that to the TIM range because it eschews colours in favour of more useful 0.1 bar segments. Lots of alternatives are available from Demon Tweeks- their webist only has some, you need the catalogue to see them all.

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.