Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I admit it, I am a sucker for anything that says "Boost" or "Turbo" or "Pressure" that has a needle on it. I have a 2.3t which has no boost guage. I am interested in putting one in... anyone know where I can buy one or has a second hand one about?

I have just come from the scrappers and managed to salvage a guage caddy from an old 9000 (holds oil pressure, temp and battery voltage in a radio compartment in the dash) and would like to mount a boost guage in it.

Any other thoughts on what other giagues or gizmos I can put in the other two holes are appreciated (no jokes please lol).

·
Registered
623 Posts
Seems like your car is a LPT. If you add a boost gauge, it will raise up only to 0.2-0.3 bar, not very exciting. That's why saab didn't put it.
conversion from LPT to FPT isn't hard, there a are a lot of threads on this here.
Other gauges? there was a thread on it too a few days ago, but a couple of ideas could be, besides the one you've seen in that scrappied car, exhaust gas temp, oil temp, water temp (the temp gauge in the cluster is driven by the ECU in cartain cars , and not by the sender, so it does not show the real temp but the temp that Saab thinks you have to know), air fuel ratio (lambda gauge), cabin temp...
The only really useful between these is the boost gauge IMHO.

·
Registered
496 Posts
pep boys has a really accurate boost gauge for $15 and it looks kewl too. I see em on e-bay all the time, but they are the same $15 ones selling for $30-$75 because ppl don't look around in stores to see what they really sell for.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Dave, my local Halfords sells boost gauges in its "RipSpeed" department. I'm pretty sure I saw one in the Belfast store too. I don't know of a "Pep Boys" branch within 2000 miles of you, unfortunately.

I got my boost gauge from speeding.co.uk

For an LPT, you won't need greater than 1 bar. If you tune it, then you might need a 1.5 or 2 bar scale.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I depends on how calibrated you want it.

Most of the halfords/ricwe boy shops want colour and pretty needles, but only have 3-4 marked points.

I bought a Mocal TBG30 which is in PSI not Bar, and marked off in 1psi increments from -15 to +30.

Plain and simple, just likle the old Smith guages in mini's from the 60's and it cost less than the rice boy lookers.

I bought mine from SCA Race and Rally.

Andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts