Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a fair amount of work to do on my c900 16t. all shocks, anti roll bar bushes,new pads all round, pos both track rod ends + a full service. and I want it to go quicker, first my car has been chipped apparently to 275bhp?? (with mental fuling above 4k rpm) but that was with a decent exhaust, which I had to put a full new one on last mot so exhausts are out at the moment, she has also been lowered at the front by about 30mm. I have also got some good prices for sachs shocks are the best price(£36 ea+ the dreaded vodka and tonic)/handling. I am looking to fit an IC fan at some point but the air box is in the way suggestions? (I don't want to cut the body about)any other low cost modds ? I'm fairly handy with the spanners.any help or advice would be appreciated
be & happy
D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
some of that dose not make sence thanks to a couple to many stellas with dinner.

what i hoped you guys could help with is suggestions for shocks & pads also is the elk parts replacement air filter better than a K&N type as i am thinking about fitting an IC fan, i have seen jouko's air filter mod but dont wish to cut up the body.
thanks again
be & enjoy the

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I'm using the Sachs Advantage shocks on my C900 & like them. Elsewhere I've read of folk finding them too stiff but I've not had that problem.

I'm using Pagid pads (fast road front, standard rear) in conjunction with new ATE disks and Goodridge stainless hoses: stopping power is not a problem (mine is MY88 so improved brakes anyways).

The Elk drop in filter is a JR one: these are very good! (from personal experience & independent reviews).

HTH

·
Registered
548 Posts
With regard to an inter-cooler fan I would consider what you hope to achieve. Above 30mph you will get no benefit and it may actually hurt the efficiency of the IC. Instead, and cheaper, find ways to get more air thru the IC and out from under the bonnet. Fan will only help with off-the-line drag starts.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by Aerohead:
[qb]With regard to an inter-cooler fan I would consider what you hope to achieve. Above 30mph you will get no benefit and it may actually hurt the efficiency of the IC. Instead, and cheaper, find ways to get more air thru the IC and out from under the bonnet.  Fan will only help with off-the-line drag starts. [/qb][/b]
Not quite true, I'm afraid.

The airflow over the stock intercooler on the C900 is poor. The intercooler itself is also quite small. Even on a stock model, you can notice that it soon saturates.

As long as the fan is adequately sized, close coupled to the intercooler and operates when required, this will be better than "natural" airflow unless you're going to start hacking lumps out of the front of your car.

Trent Saab sell a fan intercooler kit which is part of their upgrade that takes a C900 to 220hp. However, you don't need to spend that sort of money. I reckon for about £170 you can get a fan, relay and either a temperature or pressure sensor to activate the fan.

There are, as I suggest, two possible modes to trigger the fan- either by intake pressure as higher intqake pressures indicate higher temps or by intake air temp.

HTH

·
Registered
31 Posts
On my 900 I used an intercooler water spray to great effect. Made out of garden irrigation equipment, an old pressure switch and a washer motor it prevented heat soak very well.

Alanb

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
could you give me some more details Alan would be very interested. also I have been considering the ic fan for some time, but there is no room to fit the fan behind the ic without moving the air box, I've herd differing reports about k&n filters, the original set up looks very restrictive has anyone found an effective & tidy alternative
thanks D

·
Registered
215 Posts
I also remember reading in a VW mag (when I was a Golf owner) that some blokes had got great results using the intercooler from (I kid you not) a old Cessna. But thinking about it, it must be pretty efficient when it's life or death that the engine works...

This was on a diesel btw.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Many years ago when in the RAF I remember looking at pre-coolers and inter-coolers off jets. Built to take bleed air off the compressor stages of a jet engine and cool it sufficiently for cabin conditioning they were works of art - beautiful alloy welding, light weight etc. maybe an option if the size is right?

Alyn

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Can I ask what's been done to your car to give it 275bhp? That's a mightily impressive figure for a B202

James

·
Registered
215 Posts
After yesterdays post, I did a google.com search for [cessna intercooler parts] and whilst the planes themselves are expensive (!), I got the impression that, given the much greater efficiency of the units and the power gains they gave, that the £/hp figure would not be too dissimlar from what punters blow at the big name tuners. And this is all a result of more efficient cooling; the engine itself does not have to be tweaked.

Plus, the articles were fairly interesting anyway if you are a bit sad like me. And I suspect you are...

Check this, for example:

ULTRACooling Basics

·
Registered
547 Posts
Many years ago when in the RAF I remember looking at pre-coolers and inter-coolers off jets. Built to take bleed air off the compressor stages of a jet engine and cool it sufficiently for cabin conditioning they were works of art - beautiful alloy welding, light weight etc. maybe an option if the size is right?
 [/b]
I believe the Harrier has a water based cooling system that it engages when it enters a hover - anyone breaking a Harrier?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i havent done anything exept service the saab since i got it but i had a quick chat with the previous owner & im sure he said he'd rolling roaded it after he'd been playing & said she was putting out 275 so im not standing by that claim

1 - 16 of 16 Posts