Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having just traded in my Puma for a 2000 93 lpt convertible (11800 GBP with 51k miles ), I can certainly say that I'm now a Saab convert. Power is fairly good, (but of course the handling is not!) I'm thinking of having the Abbot ECU upgrade to increase power to 205BHP which is probably too much for the chassis, so I have a few queries/concerns:

*Running at 0.8 boost with no APC; is this really OK (on UK fuel only)?
*Am I right in thinking that if knocking occurs it will be at high revs and undetectable until the engine is knackered?
*Would I need to use Unleaded-plus only?
*After the ECU upgrade is the only difference between my "lpt" and the HOT just the APC? (i.e. all mechanicals the same?)
*Would anyone recommend any mods to improve the handling (e.g. Abbot steering rack clamp)?

All comments welcome, but please don't call the men in white coats just because I want to tune a convertible!

Bob.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've got a 2000 convertible LPT too so theres absolutely nothing wrong with tuning a soft top! I would really recommend sorting out the handling before any engine mods are done. I have got the Eibach pro kit which totally transforms the handling of the car. There is a lot of very positive feedback relating to the Viggen Rescue Kit from Abbott too which I would have on my car if only for the lack of financial resources. I am also looking at upgrading the ECU to stage 1, however the need to fit the APC solenoid myself is quite offputting seeing as though I am not technically minded and I am so far away from a decent Saab tuner. Good luck with the future mods, keep us all informed and welcome to the board.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Nowt wrong with tuning a convertible, even the 'old' ones

James

---
'00 9-5 Aero Wagon
'93 900 Aero Convertible

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I've been a passenger in Abbott 900's '97 GM900 convertible pushing out 250bhp. I was very impressed by how stable the car was being a) a GM900 and B) a convertible. Now I know the GM900 has a poor reputation for handling although I have no idea why, having driven Munki's '95 and enjoyed throwing it around the bends. The 9-3 should be even better.

Abbott 900's car does have some suspension mods, but my own 9000 Aero does too and I was still impressed with the 900's chassis.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Originally posted by Andyvo
however the need to fit the APC solenoid myself is quite offputting seeing as though I am not technically minded[/b]
You should find it fairly simple. AFAIK both the mounting hole and the wiring are already in the LPT just not used, they certainly are on 9000s. Then it's a matter of fitting three hoses in the correct places. They will either be marked or it will be shown on the instructions.

HTH

·
Registered
430 Posts
the need to fit the APC solenoid myself is quite offputting seeing as though I am not technically minded[/b]
It's dead easy.
1. You fasten the solenoid bracket to the radiator surround
2. Attach the solenoid to the bracket
3. Connect the plug
4. Grumble that you've been sent the wrong hoses because they don't fit.
5. Feel like a right daft **** , when, after complaining to the supplier, you realise that you put the solenoid bracket on upside down in the first place.
6. Invert bracket - then the hoses do fit.

Thats how I just did it earlier this very evening.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Originally posted by TractorBoy:

*Running at 0.8 boost with no APC; is this really OK (on UK fuel only)?[/b]
It depends... as long as that's your peak boost and it tapers at higher revs, you'll probably be OK unless there's a serious fault develops somehwere else, which would probably be obvious in driving anyway.

*Am I right in thinking that if knocking occurs it will be at high revs and undetectable until the engine is knackered?[/b]
Knocking is most likely to occur under peak boost, as a) the inlet air temperature has been raised and B) there's even more compression taking place.

Or, in other words, not necessarily at high revs- it can equally be in the mid range when you're running max boost.

*Would I need to use Unleaded-plus only?[/b]
I would recommend it, yes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts