Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am expecting delivery at the beginning of Sept of a new 1.9 TTID Aero, this is my first ever Saab, but I have in the past tuned my last few cars I currently Have a mondeo ST TDCI that has a bluefin (superchips mod) and I have been more than happy with it.

My question is does anyone have any experience of modding Saabs, and in particular the ttid ?

I am looking at the following options

BSR PPC @ £550 213bhp & 450NM
Rica PPC @ £550 210bhp & 465NM
Superchips @ £500 220bhp & 443NM
Hirsch @ £850 200bhp & 430NM

Anyone have any experience of any of the following modding companies, I can see the benefits of Hirsch on a new car, ie warrenty issues etc. but it is obviously the least powerfull & most expensive.

The PPC idea I like as the map is loadable ie I can take it off, I know that Saab could probably tell it had been modded if they really wanted to analize the ECU but in reality will they ever?

I have been happy with superchips, but they currently don't do bluefin (similar to PPC) ie the remap is a perminant one.

Any reccomendations / advice for a Saab virgin?

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
I've had experience of Hirsch upgrades on petrol cars. Hirsch are very good. If you consider one of their upgrades, apart from the warranty issue that you have noted, the Hirsch units comply with EU emissions standards and also are designed to be run at full power continuously without the performance being cut back by overheating etc.

Also note that the Hirsch price is for the software only and doesn't include the "installation". On the other hand, try a few dealers for prices. I have found the price to be "negotiable". Especially if it is included in the deal for buying the car.

A further point to note is that the torque is more important than the hp. Hp = torque x engine speed. Some tuners get a high bhp figure, but only at very high revs - an area that does not necessarily make the car better off the mark at lower speeds or make it more driveable in traffic. Some figures can be "optimistic". I think that the Hirsch figures are believable, and possibly conservative, as they have to comply with new car regs, since they can be fitted before you take delivery.

No experience of any of the other tuners though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well thats good to know that thats 1 vote for hirsch, good point about their claims probably being the most accurate even possibly understated.

Unfortunatly when I ordered the car the Hirsch upgrade was not done for the ttid engine (its been on factory order over 12 weeks already!!!) So I couldn't order it at that point.

Also seen that a company called Celtic Tuning do a mod they are claiming 220 bhp & 475 NM which sounds very good, no price on the website though.

Anyone know anything about any of the others?

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Anyone have any experience of any of the following modding companies, I can see the benefits of Hirsch on a new car, ie warrenty issues etc. but it is obviously the least powerfull & most expensive.[/b]
But it will drive the nicest.
Hirsch is least powerfull, because it's factory approved and tuned to within the acceptable servicabilty envelope of the mechanical parts etc. The aftermarket tuners will push to the edge or possibly beyond that envelope, and possibly make the car feel less 'production', whereas the Hirsch will feel like the standard car...but just have more ooooomph.

The PPC idea I like as the map is loadable ie I can take it off, I know that Saab could probably tell it had been modded if they really wanted to analize the ECU but in reality will they ever?[/b]
They will if you have a warrenty claim that is engine related, bearing in mind the above.

If you decide against Hirsch, which would be my choice, I'd probably go the BSR route as 2nd choice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I used BSR on my 9-5 HOT a few years ago and it made a very noticeable difference both to performance and fuel consumption - both positive! I now have a TTiD and automatically went to BSR based on past experience and that it can be 'removed' should it be needed. The tuning takes less than 10 mins and again has improved performance but it is too early to tell about fuel consumption.

The other plus with the BSR is it can be updated via the web as and when BSR improve it

Hope this helps

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice thanks for the post, I would be gratefull if you could let me know your thoughts when you get a few more miles on the clock, ie on performance / MPG changes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm intersted in upping the performance a little but Hirsch do seem somewhat expensive compared to the others! I understand the ramifications of going the 'non approved' route and am tempted by Superchips and was hoping to see any reviews by anyone who's installed it?

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
Welcome! :)

As I have said before ;) ...

the Hirsch upgrade price is not fixed. The dealer has some latitude in what he charges.

And the best time to ask for his "best price" is when you are negotiating to buy a new car and include it in the deal!! :)

If something goes wrong later - all the liability is with the dealer and Saab. No messing with trying to remove a BSR or superchip before someone finds it :(

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hirsch upgrade prices are indeed negotiable - when I had my 2.0T Aero upgraded 18 months ago the Saab dealer charged me £700 fitted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Apologies on resurecting this thread, but has anyone actually gone ahead and had any one of the OP's suggested companies remap their 9-3 TTiD, very interested in any feedback.

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
If I had a car that new and expensive I wouldn't consider using anyone but Hirsch. The price difference will be a lot less than finding yourself without warranty if something in the engine breaks.

Forget any ideas of "unprogramming" a BSR tune for instance. If it breaks, it will be towed to a dealer. And you may not be able to get it working well enough to reprogramme even it it goes to the dealer via your home..

£300 difference (negotiable) against £2000 for a fuel pump? No contest! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I eventually decided that going down the hirsh route would be the safer bet given it was a new car. Have to say the difference doesn't feel massive, you can tell but it is not as noticeable as I had hoped (although the quoted gains are only about 10%) so I was not expecting miricles!

Unfortunatly as is the norm with tuning cars it is hard to stop once starting, I also went for the big brake kit and the lowered suspension kit as well!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
If I had a car that new and expensive I wouldn't consider using anyone but Hirsch. The price difference will be a lot less than finding yourself without warranty if something in the engine breaks.

Forget any ideas of "unprogramming" a BSR tune for instance. If it breaks, it will be towed to a dealer. And you may not be able to get it working well enough to reprogramme even it it goes to the dealer via your home..

£300 difference (negotiable) against £2000 for a fuel pump? No contest! :)[/b]
I'm sorry but I do think there is a bit of 'scaremongering' when it comes to remapping and your statement is a classic case in point, "£300 difference (negotiable) against £2000 for a fuel pump"! are you suggesting that by remapping by anyone other than Hirsch this will be the consequence?

I am well aware of the benefits of sticking to Saabs tuning copmany Hirsch but fail to see that spending over £900 (as of recent price changes due to £/Euro fluctuations) for such nominal gains are worth it and although the others mentioned may not carry the luxury keeping a full warranty, the other alternatives are not mickey mouse back street tuning companies, all of them are well respected withing the industry and do not release 'remaps' to market without a full and comprehensive testing regime.

You may feel that I have formed this opinion on a rash whim but can assure you that I am only expressing an opinion gained from experience from having a modified VAG car (which was remapped from new) but VAG do not have any tuining arm you can turn to for approved and warrantied tuning. Even so many of us went ahead and remapped new or nearly new cars and very few if any reported or experienced any issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hello,
I had my car remapped by CelticTuning and am very happy with the results. The company put with my hundreds of questions and concerned and knew their stuff.

·
Registered
1 Posts
G'Day All.
Just Joined. about to pick up my first Saab (Aero 9-3 TTiD).

Has anyone tried the offerings from DTUK.

I currently have an Astra, CDTi 1.9 (150ps standard, as per the Saab engine). _ Australian delivered
I've had a DTUK Green Box on it for over a year without any hiccups, with MASSIVE improvements in power , torque, and tractability (of engine).

I know they dont list a box for teh TTiD, but I am advised by them that teh same box as in my astra has been used in the UK by some Saab people in the TTiD with great success.

Anyone had any experience???

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi,
a TTID will gain 30bhp/75nm torque and up to 20% fuel saving with a evolutionchips remap.. 7 days full money back guarantee, and lifetime warranty on the map itself...

steve

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi, I have owned Saabs for over 20 years and owned a few in that time. I currently own a 1997 Saab 9000 Aero (from near new - 5000k on odo when purchased - now 259,000k) and a 1988 900 Aero. My wife has a 1998 Saab 9000 Anniversary model with only 75,000k. In my fairly vast experience of Saabs and knowing plenty of people that have tuned Saabs, I feel that warranty issues and breakages are very over emphasised. I'm not saying they don't break. Any brand of vehicle (yes, even the more prestigous models) all have mechanical issues and/or lemons from time to time. My experience shows that experienced tuners such as MapTun and BSR have a strong track record of safely developing tuning upgrades that are reliable and last - they do a lot of development work around Trionic and understanding the complexities of the ECU maps and also managing EGTs (Exhaust Gase Temperatures - too hot an engine will eventually kill engine components. If they didn't then why are they still in business?? Saab's (certainly in the past) have been conservatively engineered and have the ability to be extensiveley tuned without sacrificing relaibility. My only caveat is to ensure that you performance regular services , the most important one being oil services (engine and gearbox) - fresh oil keeps engines healthy and long lasting. I change my engine oil at least every 10,000km and ONLY use a good quality synth oil such as Mobile 1. My Saab 9000 Aero has been running in excess of 270hp for the past 8 years (300+ for the past 5-6 years) and still has full compression and no relaibility issues with my tune (MapTun BTW). Whilst it is admirable the development work conducted by Hirsch (and no doubt a very experienced and competent Saab tuning house), I feel the minor performance difference from a reliability perspective are over rated. How many of us drive at WOT for extended periods?? Cheers

·
Registered
246 Posts
I finally bit the bullet and opted for a BSR upgrade to 213 bhp on my ttid, its superb, very powerful and smooth. With 450nm there isnt much you need to worry about for in gear performance - although an old(ish) M3 did blast away from me last week nothing else has. MPG is up to 46 mpg but could be as car is getting run in a bit more (6000 miles now). A jag 2.7 diesel tried to stop me overtaking on a fast dual cariageway the other week, no hassle and left him looking slightly shocked (he was having a good look at the saab at the next lights).

Go the BSR route if you have a TTiD and want some power to play with. Oh and in the wet 450NM = wheelspin if you push it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts