Votes: 7 7.8%

Votes: 38 42.2%

Votes: 45 50.0%

• Total voters
61 - 80 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi there I have owned my 2008 ttid auto for just over a year now and there is now 107k on the clock. FSH and one previous owner, SAAB themselves.

1 silly little swirl flap fell x2 one went through and stuffed both turbos and the other did 12 valves and got stuck down the side of the piston. Engine strip and new water pump and timing belt at the same time. £2400. And the blanking plates are now fitted.
2 EGR complete shut down. New one fitted £240.
3 DPF sensor replaced as in limp home mode and DPF regen not happening £110.
So up to now I am not that impressed with reliability of the car or the basic undertones of the interior styling but the engine when working is fab for a 1.9.

Cheers Dave.

·
SaabScene.com Premium Member
1,136 Posts
£240 for new EGR? Did that include fitting, If I recall worse case £100 for the part. Shame about your problems, I agree the 1.9 TTID is an amazing engine. From my side, I've only ever had 2 major issues, EGR and Alternator. Both replaced, in the end I opted to get the EGR deleted as it kept giving me problems.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes fella that included fitting for the EGR. I was tempted to blank the little bleeder off but was advised that the way my luck was going I would get mot issues lol.
To date I am a little fed up with her as I have found the last year of owning hard work given she does not have heated seats and seems a little bland. Tbh the engine performance is the only thing keeping her here so I am very tempted to try and give her a new lease of life. Would you have any suggestions ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've owned my TTid 180 2008 with 71k FSH for a year now, love it. Have had a fair share of issues though.
?Cam belt done
?Alternator replaced
?Gasket seal replaced
?Turbo seal leaking (something else to fix on the list)
?Near side eyebrow light sometimes doesn't work mind of it's own (add to the list)
?All brake discs and pads fitted
?Major coolant leak problems (and a useless local saab garage which used to be the main dealership) that took 4 attempts to try and fix it, which they couldn't and in the end a mechanic friend sorted it in 5 mins!
?Same garage clogged up the dpf as left it idling all day long to check the coolant level leakage (yes really) I'd never take it back there! Clouds of smoke and a long journey to unblock it grrrrrr! It's no wonder the police didn't pull me over!
? Recently Ive had rough idling for about 20seconds intermittently on start up. (EGR problem??)

Car is lovely to drive though and this is my 2nd Saab 9-3, dash cameras fitted to the back and front of the car, sat nav and voice activation is great. Have been impressed with the power for a diesel and a decent mpg return when driving gently at 65mph is 72.4mpg on the motorway work journey home. Friends and work colleagues comment on it and like the the refined ride, cabin quietness and the black exterior, red callipers and cream and black interior leather. They all want a go of the voice activation too. Been asked if I'd sell it to one of them too...erm...no way!

·
1,136 Posts
Yes fella that included fitting for the EGR. I was tempted to blank the little bleeder off but was advised that the way my luck was going I would get mot issues lol.
To date I am a little fed up with her as I have found the last year of owning hard work given she does not have heated seats and seems a little bland. Tbh the engine performance is the only thing keeping her here so I am very tempted to try and give her a new lease of life. Would you have any suggestions ?
If I was to take back time when I put up with my EGR failing for 2 years I'd wish I'd had mine deleted much earlier. So my recommendation is YES - get the EGR deleted from the ECU and at the same time go for a remap. Then fit a blanking plate to the manifold - No EML's at all, no more limp mode it's great. Mine has past 2 MOT's since, flew through with no advisories on the exhaust gases or anything. I've not deleted my DPF so maybe that's why. If your in the Northwest then I'd recommend ECOTECH for the EGR & remap, cost about £399 as they know their stuff.

·
1,136 Posts
I've owned my TTid 180 2008 with 71k FSH for a year now, love it. Have had a fair share of issues though.
?Cam belt done
?Alternator replaced
?Gasket seal replaced
?Turbo seal leaking (something else to fix on the list)
?Near side eyebrow light sometimes doesn't work mind of it's own (add to the list)
?All brake discs and pads fitted
?Major coolant leak problems (and a useless local saab garage which used to be the main dealership) that took 4 attempts to try and fix it, which they couldn't and in the end a mechanic friend sorted it in 5 mins!
?Same garage clogged up the dpf as left it idling all day long to check the coolant level leakage (yes really) I'd never take it back there! Clouds of smoke and a long journey to unblock it grrrrrr! It's no wonder the police didn't pull me over!
? Recently Ive had rough idling for about 20seconds intermittently on start up. (EGR problem??)

Car is lovely to drive though and this is my 2nd Saab 9-3, dash cameras fitted to the back and front of the car, sat nav and voice activation is great. Have been impressed with the power for a diesel and a decent mpg return when driving gently at 65mph is 72.4mpg on the motorway work journey home. Friends and work colleagues comment on it and like the the refined ride, cabin quietness and the black exterior, red callipers and cream and black interior leather. They all want a go of the voice activation too. Been asked if I'd sell it to one of them too...erm...no way!

Eyebrow is a common fault on the facelift. Mine does it, it only does it in the winter when it's really cold. Something to do with the temperature and the ECU thinking there is a short on the lights. You can fit resistors but it's a bit of a pig to do. Easy fix - if you notice it happening. Switch off lights, Switch engine off, remove key, start engine, lights back on and bingo it'll now work. That's what I've done and just lived with it.

Mine used to have an rough idle for ages - turbo needle would bounce and black smoke on startup - It was happening for ages - probably 2 years. Never did find out what it was, and come to think of it since I've had my EGR deleted it's stopped happening, so maybe it is related...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ballie,

Mine is a 20011 TTiD4 180 Sportwagon - Manual - 34600 miles.

After previously owning a 2007 Saab 9-3SS Aero 2.0L HOT Anniversary, with Tiptronic transmission, I was pleasantly surprised by the performance of the TTiD4 Sportwagon.

This is my third Saab.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,

Just brought a 9-3 TTid Aero estate, manual with 94k, had no problems after 1 day :)

I look forward to the EGR woes

·
Registered
224 Posts
Only seems right to throw my hat into this thread. :)

New Saab Aero TTiD 180 Owner 58 Plate (82K) On The Clock. Loving it at present, got a small issue with boost kicking in at 3k+ but booked in at the dealer I purchased it from to get fixed up, it feels quick now so by christ once this is fixed am sure I will be enjoying it even more.

I cant leave a car alone and ive got some nice plans to make it my own.

Doing some research on taking all the s***y emission hardware off to have it running nicer :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Update on my ttid.........ive had a Terraclean done 3 weeks ago.Noticed the difference in accelaration straight away.Two weeks ago i had a Twin Channel TDI Tuning Box fitted which has boosted it to 235bhp and took the Torque upto 488nm.Ive replaced the Alloys with some Team Dynamic black ones and the centre badges are a black Griffin.Today i was meant to be having it put on a Rolling Road Track but on the way there the Water Pump went.Luckily i spotted it as i stopped at the shop and saw water underneath.Putting it on the RRT to make sure the Specifications on bhp and torque are correct.She throws you back into the seat on accelaration and you can definetly feel the extra power! The Waterpump was only fitted in October so at least its under warranty.

Saab side view.jpg
Black Saab Griffin.jpg

·
Registered
95 Posts
2011 TTiD4 160 SC Turbo Edition auto bought in 2012 with 8k on the clock. Now on 49k. Regular servicing, including twice yearly oil change. Only ever used Shell Optimax - I swear by it but others are sceptical.

17" alloys replaced with 16" wheels - ride greatly improved.
aircon recharge - big difference
coolant changed
auto fluid changed - shifts much smoother
Hirsch upgrade to 200bhp - effortless overtaking.

Only issue - touch wood - is that wing mirror motors occasionally try to fold out mirrors when they're already out. This is my fifth SAAB. Shame there's no where to go after this one. That's why I plan to run it till it dies.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2010 TTiD4 160BHP turbo edition
bought 2012 @34k miles now has 115k miles.

Put any old cheap 5w40 synthetic oil in but change it at around 7k more often than the required interval. Tried Mobil 1 0w40 for a couple of changes ... it appears to make no difference whatsoever in our climate.

Faults
Exhaust front flex pipe - on the 3rd one now, since the last one I have had a dip in fuel consumption to around 55mpg. Booked in at Saab dealer so hope its not to dear. Suspect that the cowboys that fitted it have left a leak which is throwing out the exhaust senor readings. I also wonder if I have a faulty engine mount!
Buttons on LHS of steering wheel have intermittent fault, this also causes the horn to go off on it's own..... can be quite amusing! Also part of the reason for going to the main dealer.
Rear off side door lock sometime does not work.... new motor too expensive for words.

Car drives like a dream though, last one I'll ever have. Cannot believe SAAB are gone, normally I change cars around 90K Miles but I intend to run this one to at least 200k miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2008 9-3 Aero TTiD (180) Sports Sedan Manual Black/Tan - 82,000 Km (Approx 51,000Mi)

Bought the car from the original owner in 2015 with 65,000 Km. No major dramas apart from a slightly slow cold start (which has gotten worst - http://www.saabscene.com/forum/threads/241922-9-3-TTid-Cold-Start-Issue)

80,000 Km got nervous and changed the timing belt and water pump.

Week later EGR failed and was replace. Month after this EGR started throwing out P0400 errors which put it into limp mode.

Love this car but as it is rare in Australia technical knowledge also seems to be. Hope I can remedy this here with all your help.

·
Registered
16 Posts
2010 TTID4 auto, standard 180 not modified and probably won't be, Awesome car!!!!
(1)Passenger seat sensor fault
(2)noisy fan/heater
(3)rumbling noise from front end
all to be sorted by dealer so not really worried and no regrets, Mondeo convert!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mine is a :

TTID4 93 saloon 2011. Bought 2012. Had done 27000 miles from new.
I've now done 46000 miles and fair bit of it pulling a caravan.
It's got great power for pulling a caravan and stable at higher speeds.
My car before was a 2005 93 sport 150 bhp which I thought was powerful but this TTID4 is much more powerful and the power is there and smooth throughout the revs.
It returns good mpg too.
It's a great car but had for sometime had the error " steering lock malfunction " pop up now and then. I've changed the battery and ignition module but still the same. Looks like I will have to admit defeat and take it to a garage. Maybe the CIM needs changing. £££££££s
The only other thing was a anti roll bar linkage ball joint worn. Changed it myself.
It's blue in colour with white leather seats and black and carbon fibre effect trim inside. The alloys are not seen on many SAABs
Hope it remains trouble free for many more miles.

·
Registered
36 Posts
TTID 180 Turbo Edition 09 Plate bought it last September with 121000 on the clock so far happy with the performance although its a little solw on acceleration sometimes maybe the turbo actuators are sticky will need to look. Its now covered 131000mls mainly motorway, pulls nicely from 50mph in the roadworks back upto 80ish in no time, returns around 59mpg over a 2 week tankfull.

Retro fitted the sat nav but the voice control does not work I dont think the fitted microphone is connected. Replaced rear discs and need to do the fronts, i have HID's to fit but not sure about MOT issues I may have.

Issues:- None so far

This replaced a Vectra 1.9 CTDI 120 (mapped too150bhp with EGR delete) the Saab seems to have less low down torque than the Vectra though.

15/07/2018 Update - Having now covered 133000 miles it's going well except I have not seen an DPF regen in the 12000 miles I have covered since October 2017, I suspect it's previous owner may have had it remapped to remove the DPF and removed the actual DPF from the car, as today on a clear road I reved it hard and left a huge black cloud.

I never use supermarket fuel and treat regularly with diesel treatment so I guess I need to get it into a Saab Indy for a proper look at the exhaust and check it's not been tampered with.

·
Registered
11 Posts
TTID 180 Aero 2008, Sat Nav, 130k.
This is my fourth Saab, but the first ttid.
Bought it with a snapped timing belt, but other than that, in mint condition.
Also been told had been remap to 220bhp, egr deleted, dpf deleted, reason why the back of the car was black. (Silver paint)
Fixed the engine myself, it runs nice and smooth. I'm trying now to find a way to bring it back to 180bhp, as it's smoking like a steam locomotive and I'm ashamed to drive it.
Other than that, no codes, no faults, it does pull like a jet. If I can sort the smoke I'll be really happy.

·
Super Moderator
2,959 Posts
Check to see if you still have a DPF could of been removed and mapped out .
Which could cause truble when it comes to mot time ( failure)

61 - 80 of 90 Posts