Votes: 7 7.8%

Votes: 38 42.2%

Votes: 45 50.0%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sorry if I came across a bit condescending to your intelligence but I have seen that exact looking car in the exact place in the picture for sale on autotrader and it was up at a 2.0T at 125k mileage. Guessing they must have had same colour / alloys in TTiD form too!
Sorry Octy didnt mean to sound annoyed I was having a laugh with my reply. They must have done the same spec in petrol. I think the pic is taken outside an auction in Scotland as I took it from the advert for the car so there is a good chance of similar pics.
dont loose any sleep lol, take alook in the how to section at my how to re cleaning egr map tb etc theres also another with some great pics of egr although dont forget the pipe

how many miles ?
Hey Kez first off great tips section on here I have already had the EGR valve off and cleaned it up it was a right mess. I wasnt confident enough to try and get to the pipe and MAP sensor just yet but I defo need to get them done too. Its done 83K and I havent had much chance to do a proper run in it yet the commute to work the last few days has been horrendous for traffic. SID is reading about 45MPG I am hoping to get another 10 when the traffic is a little better. One fault I do have is a malfunction on the parking sensors and this morning I had frozen washer jets. I had hoped there would be an option but I guess I just need to use neat solution but that aside I absolutely love the car.

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Hi start a new thread in the 93ss section you will find you get more response to any problems :)

Use aa stronger mix in washer bottle

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got a 2009 TTiD 180 Estate,
wiring fault on engine loom, the plug for the oil px sensor was damaged and the garage wanted £1400 to repair it with a new loom, Neobrothers had a new loom for £108 and sensor was £7, no other issues, great car, getting returns of 62.7-67 mpg on a run to newcastle from cornwall and managed 700 miles to a tank too.
car has now got 109k on it,
oil level issues are come and go, i purposely fill it 3/4's and still can get a full dipstick so i drain down the excess, however not been an issue recently (touch wood)

·
Registered
7 Posts
TTiD Newbie..

Mine is a 09 Aero TTiD 180 Saloon and have had her now for a couple of months with 100K on the clock. Lovin the power n torqe and the way she looks, fine lookin car.

Not liking that only recently I have noticed bluey/white smoke pouring from the back. This only happens ocassionally and not on start up. It usually happens after a decent run with a mix of motorway speed 70 Mph + and then stop start city traffic driving mix. My daily commute is about 30 Miles or so with the odd long motorway run every week or so. I have noticed once or twice after the "Check OK" comes up I hear the bing bong and "Low Engine oil Pressure" message appers for less than a second then goes away. I have checked the oil level reguarly and its not high on the dip stick it is spot on and dark black colour, I also checked the oil filler cap and clean as a whistle no gungy mayonaise stuff or discoluration here either and no apparent oil leakage, so not sure whats going on, its really begining to pi** me off.
Ive seen so many threads on this smoking thing but no definitive reasons or answers, they all seem to be about DPF and seals so can somebody please give me a straight up answer on this, as there seems to be so many dam things that can cuse this I might get rid of her as it seems they need to be driven and treated with kid gloves, cant live with all this EGR, DPF, Turbo SEal Valve seal crap etc, just want a Turbo Diesel that actually works, is that to much to ask?

I didnt realise it when I bought her but have since discovered that the previous owner has fitted a ProBitz Diesel Tuning Chip, is this something I should keep or get rid off?? Again straight forward honest answers and reasons to keep or take off would help.

Many Thanks to all who take the time to read and respond, cheers.

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
i would remove the box.......they just play around with fueling by confusing the ecu

any modern diesel will need a good run every couple of weeks to keep gremlins at bay along with routine egr cleaning especially if your journeys are short commutes

you do not need to drive like a boy racer but drive the car without driving like a granny lol

a 20min journey at normal operating temperarture with revs above 2k around 2-2.5k in 4th gear will keep ontop of dpf issues and you wont be breaking any speed limits

first thing i would do is remove box and reset ecu

·
Registered
95 Posts
Some questions:

Hi,

Is the TTID4 engine essentially the same as the TTID? If not, what's the difference? And is it less susceptible to DPF issues? - I've mentioned elsewhere what pain my previous car was with the TID 150 unit.

Does the quality of fuel used have any bearing on the EGR issue? I've only ever used Shell Optimax diesel and again, as I've mentioned elsewhere, the only advisory note on the first MOT in January was that the emissions were to low to be measurable. So, perhaps naively, I'm wondering if decent fuel is beneficial all round?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
essentially it is the same yes, but there is differences that a tech would undertstand. i could go into it but may bore you ;)

i use supermarket diesel on high powered diesel no issues....

bi yearly cleaning of egr the feed pipe map and thrttle body ontop of a decent run once twice a week should suffice

·
SaabScene.com Premium Member
1,136 Posts
EGR can be troublesome on some and not others, it's a bit of a gamble. Mine was problematic and have now had it deleted. Car runs better than ever with 105k on the clock. Never ever had DPF issues but I do a lot of miles and sometimes 100+ mile journeys which helps a lot. I cant ever say using VPower made any difference to mine before I had the egr deleted, it still sooted up so that's why I gave up and had it deleted from the ecu. But... I'm still not convinced about vpower over standard diesel, cant say I've ever noticed any performance or mpg gains. And, I'd never ever use supermarket fuel, why bother when Shell is just as cheap especially if you have a points card!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks to you both for your thoughts. I'm not sure about extra MPG either - perhaps because I always use it and so can't make comparisons. My wife drives a Kia Picanto (!) and uses VPower every second or third tank. She swears it's quicker with the VPower. I also recommended it to a friend who runs a Ford. He was sceptical until he used it - said his car goes like a bomb now (relatively speaking, I suppose).

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
EGR can be troublesome on some and not others, it's a bit of a gamble. Mine was problematic and have now had it deleted. Car runs better than ever with 105k on the clock. Never ever had DPF issues but I do a lot of miles and sometimes 100+ mile journeys which helps a lot. I cant ever say using VPower made any difference to mine before I had the egr deleted, it still sooted up so that's why I gave up and had it deleted from the ecu. But... I'm still not convinced about vpower over standard diesel, cant say I've ever noticed any performance or mpg gains. And, I'd never ever use supermarket fuel, why bother when Shell is just as cheap especially if you have a points card!
no more shell in my town :(((( couldnt believe it the place was always packed and as it was across the road from asda always same price !!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
have had my TTid4 160bhp for a year and a half and havent had a days problem with it. plenty of torque and handles fairly well ( would like to solve slight body role when cornering). had a merc c180 a couple of years ago. the saab beats it hands down. love it to bits.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a 2011 ttid aero sportwagon only problems so far touch wood are with the wheels, getting a wobble at about 70 had them re weighted , but I need new spigot rings for the car anyone know what size the car needs? image.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well all i can say, after doing what you suggested Kez, and cleaning EGR, pipe and throttle body, I have my car back to how it was when I bought it. Will be doing it every few months now.
How do you clean out the pipe.

Regarding the DPF, I was under the impression that there was either diesel was injected down the exhaust which would ignite thus incinerating the contents of the DPF or it was something to do with a the lag time on valves on the exhaust stage, does anyone know.

·
Registered
587 Posts
How do you clean out the pipe.
There is a how to by user "Kez" that covers that, its a 1 hour DIY forst time out, torx bits and allen keys required (and Mr.Muscle oven cleaner)

Regarding the DPF, I was under the impression that there was either diesel was injected down the exhaust which would ignite thus incinerating the contents of the DPF or it was something to do with a the lag time on valves on the exhaust stage, does anyone know.
The engine management increases exhaust temperature through late fuel during the exhaust stroke -hence you see the DTE on the SID drop liek a stone during the regen cycle

·
Registered
51 Posts
yeah kev i bought the oven cleaner instead of EGR cleaner,be warned youll also get the oven to clean aswell i did:mad:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bought a 57,2008 registered Aero ttid two weeks ago.It was a fleet vehicle and has 156k on clock.However it had a new engine which has done 80k now.I have just had it serviced.I also put 4 new tyres on,new alternator,battery,water pump and belt.It had all new discs and pads in February.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi to all, and firstly a big thanks, great forum. Picked up a 08 ttid 180 auto 80k miles a couple of weeks ago, great car. Already have a 2004 aero 2.0T but new to diesels, esp the ttid. Upgraded the audio with 6x9s and an Amp following instructions from this forum - thanks! Dropped oil, sump plug was a git - someone had super tightened. Oil filter housing location is ridiculous, and messy! Anyone have any tips here? Egr is off but looks OK to me, just a bit sooty. Cambelt / water pump change is now in progress, and about to refurb the Alternator as a precaution. Hopefully no dpf issues fingers crossed! Only other worry are the dreaded swirl flaps...

41 - 60 of 90 Posts