Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, cursing home last night at 35mph (in a 40) and all of a sudden a bang and clattering with a bit of black smoke.
Free wheeled into a layby and checked (luckily with my mechanic at the time) for anything but couldn't see anything.
Got the car recovered to a local garage who have had a look and have reported back that the Big End has gone. It certainly sounded that way when it was rolled into the garage and he started it!

So, what happens next? Do I scrap a 58 plate Aero TTiD wagon? Put a cheap second hand engine in and sell it quick? Or do I buy a brand new engine from Neo's and fit that and have a 0 mile engine, along with brand new turbos and dmf etc?

I'll be honest, I brought the Saab FIVE MONTHS ago to save me cash, which it has been doing very well. My daughter has just been born so it was helping me out big time.

The car has grown on me and I do like it, I am leaning towards the new engine route adding an intercooler and maybe up rated injectors while the engine is out?

I would love to hear opinions, experience and knowledge from you guys.

I do work at JLR so I'm not a total car idiot, but I do work in diagnostics - I've tried asking a computer to fix it but it says No :joy:

Thanks
Eric

·
Premium Member
2,926 Posts
if a 2nd hand engine can be sourced yes it may well be the cheapest .... the engine will be shot ( i had/bought one with same issue ) i did rebuild mine but fully raced specd it but it was not cheap at all..

crank was gone 1 rod injector head piston

and remember these are dwindling parts numbers

if you do swop the engine let me know i may be interested in the scrap one

oh and btw

how long ago did you check the oil level ??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I was going to Neo Bros and even priced one up with oils and delivery today.

So the story continues.

Took it to a trusted and very competent mechanic I always use, the car was fine and driving like usual really. A bit more smoke than usual and seemed to have a miss fire feeling every now and then.
He thinks it may be a diesel knock due to a faulty injector.

Tomorrow he is doing a leak test etc on injectors to see if it's the obvious problem but for them moment it seems to be driving okay - no noises but just more smoke than usual!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Well I was going to Neo Bros and even priced one up with oils and delivery today.......
To be honest, if you've got the cash and the car is sweet in every other way and you really want to keep it, £1295 delivered for a brand spanking new engine seems a bit of a bargain to me. Obviously they'll be removal of the old unit and fitting of the new engine and I'm not sure how much that would cost, but maybe you could do the whole shebang for less than £2k? or is that being a little optimistic?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAAB-9-3-SPORT-2008-2012-1-9-TTID-Z19DTR-ENGINE-NEW-GENUINE-SAAB-/281338090825?hash=item41810e9549

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oil level is fine and that engine is just a bare engine -no dmf, turbos or egr etc etc

Anyway. It was actually a false diagnosis and now is all fixed!

Was in fact a diesel knock due to a faulty injector. Anyway injector replaced and all is perfect again!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Glad you got it sorted. As a matter of interest, what number injector was it? My number 2 injector failed earlier this year with only a third of the mileage your car has. Car has been absolutely spot on ever since.

·
Super Moderator
2,949 Posts
Gawd Eric glad it's sorted , and you did not go with the first garages diagnosis .................................................. That would of taken a lot of explaining by them if they got the job , replaced the engine , and then found out it was the injector .:crazy:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mine was number two.

So do glad I tried my cousins garage - only didn't go there as he closed early that day. It's scared me a lot and I'm thinking of selling up. Can't be spending silly amounts on repairs. Also I feel nervous about the car now, even tho it's fixed and 100% now I just have a niggling feeling about it and It's taken the enjoyment of the drive away for me.
Same thing happened to a Mondeo ST220 I had, was only on 40k miles and mint but had a bit of a fault with it and sold it on!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know. The first garage was just the closest one so went to it. Never used it before.

Glad I decided to take it to my cousins garage. Glad is sorted now tho.

Still thinking of selling up tho

·
Registered
406 Posts
You're not guaranteed no faults with another car so don't understand your logic there?

Owning a SAAB is like getting married, til death do us part. You don't get rid of your wife or kids just because they've had something go wrong ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,949 Posts
I can understand Eric's point once that sort of thing happends ESP with kids aboard you want a car just to do what it dose and not have that underlying niggle in your head as to what may go wrong next , the car now has to regain your trust in it , but if every time you drive it you have to cross your fingers or you are listening for different noises , then it may well either regain your trust , or get rid .

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well lizzard has hit the nail on the head there exactly.

Sorry Octy but I'm just not feeling the love I did when I first got the car. Don't get me wrong I do like the car but I just have that feeling of dread when I drive it that something will go wrong. I know it's fine now but just can't shake that feeling!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Lol Telf, if I'd had your feelings every time something had gone wrong with my own car, I'd have dumped it two years ago! Admittedly, I don't have kids, so cost isn't too much of an issue in putting stuff right which is a damn good job! Clutch/DMF, cambelt/waterpump, front suspension, shocks/droplinks etc, rear shocks, brake discs/pads/fluid, a new injector. I've spent a couple of grand on the car in the last two years but despite all of that, the car is bloody great and I don't want to part with it. Now, just have to replace the rear coil springs..........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts