Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the dreaded "Battery no charging - make a safe stop" SID message, got the car home.....dead:mad:

Whipped out the alternator (30mins) - If anyone wants a How to I'll post it, same for all z19 engines BTW...

Tested the diodes, knackered - found a vid on youtube for Vauxhall/Saab alternator repair. Fitted a rectifier off ebay (not wishing to advertise for the seller) for €35. Fixed. The kit also came with new brushes and bearings. 2 cars over 4 years this is the third alternator, I fixed the last one which I spent €230 on with a second kit, so next time it'll take an hour to fix...

You don't need to be very mechanically minded, all you need is a normal toolbox and a decent soldering iron.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Youtube link blocked from here (work fun police) - google: saab/vauxhall alternator repair, first vid that comes up, there's a part 1 and 2, username is WestronicsIrl (nothing to do with me...)

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
well done kev:D this is exactly what they do when you purchase a service/exchange unit

btw when we do this at work we uprate the diodes

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Mines had a new alt ....... Lovely Italian electronics ........ Play to your strengths guys ......... Eeeesh

I'll be miffed if it fails before 100K....... @ 50 so far :/

·
SaabScene.com Premium Member
1,136 Posts
Nice work Kev - if you can do a write up that will be excellent as I reckon mine will go again in 26k miles, for the record mine went at 50k and the 2nd alternator has been on since Jan '12 and 34k miles. Quick question how did you get to the alternator? From the top or underneath? If underneath then that rules me replacing in the future as I'm not a fan of working under ramps. And tbh, my replacement alternator only cost me £300 all in with 12 month guarantee. But... if you did it from above then please share as I'm happy to have a go, it's just the belts that put me off.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right, I'll try and get pics up to corroborate the story-

No need to remove the Airbox

This has been done on a Z19DTH and Z19DTR, minor differences only with location of wiring loom.
  1. Disconnect battery
  2. Jack up car and remove Front Right road wheel
  3. Remove wheel arch liner (approx 12 bolts/nuts (8 & 10mm)
  4. From inderside, use 15mm socket on belt tensioner and puch clockwise toward rear of car, release belt from alternator pulley
  5. Tea.
  6. From underneath, remove lower alternator bolt (15mm socket works fine)
  7. From top (lying on top of engine yield best position), free wiring loom directly above alternator(T25*).
  8. Remove top (longer) bolt while holding the alternator(it's heavy)
  9. Spin alternator so cables are facing up & remove cables(10 & 13mm sockets)
  10. Work the alternator out of the gap (upwards) careful not to damage rigid brake lines...
  11. Tea.
  12. Perform repair/ get a new alternator.
  13. Fitting is pretty much the reverse... I would get an extra hand when putting the belt back on to avoid cursing lots.
  14. Locate wheel arch at top centre first to avoid more cursing when not able to line up bolts.
  15. Reconnect battery.
  16. Beer.
I would rate this as no more difficult that changing brake pads.

Full repair kit - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/VAUXHALL-OPEL-VECTRA-ASTRA-SAAB-1-9CTDI-DENSO-ALTERNATOR-REPAIR-KIT-/151016403050?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item232947706a

Rectifier only - http://www.ebay.ie/itm/1-9-VAUXHALL-OPEL-VECTRA-ASTRA-SAAB-ZAFIRA-MARELLI-DENSO-ALTERNATOR-RECTIFIER-/181050138325?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a276dded5

·
1,136 Posts
Nice work Kev - thanks for taking the time to share.

Mods - can we add this in the "how to?"

Out of interest does anybody know how to detect if the alternator is failing? I recall mine just going without any warning but I do remember a distinct smell which reminded me of paint...bit strange huh!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No worries, the only symptoms I had was the warning. Other than monitoring charge voltage the only symptom is the diodes blacken which you can't see in the car.

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
nice one kev...........and the most important 5&16:) maybe jezz can put in his how to section

Option B for Virtualm;) and those that dont like to work from down under

1. Disconnect Battery -
2. Remove o/s/f wheel..........dont forget to jack up
3. Remove the fixings from the front part of the wheel arch liner (6/8 fixings) or remove completly if required
4. you will see through liner the aux belt tensioner use 15mm socket and rotate tensioner clockwise lock in place with 5/6mm
drill bit (you will see a locating hole in the engine) the tensioner will stay i the untensioned position to aid removal/refiting
5. Its tea time
This is where it starts to differ from kevs approach
6. Remove engine cover from top of engine
7. Remove air filter box
8. Unplug maf sensor, undo jubilee clip from pipe that attaches to air filter ad remove pipe
9. Remove the wiring harness attached to the high pressure pump cover(2x torq t25) and the wiring harness bracket from
hpp bracket 2x10mm (this harness is close to alternator so cant miss it)
10 Remove the 2 wires from the alternator 10mm&13mm
11. Tea time
12. Remove the lower alternator bolt
13. Remove the top 2 bolts from the alternator and lift alternator out
14. Repair/renew alternator
15. Refit in reverse order
16. Beer

IMPORTANT if you are refiting original aux drive belt mark it with arrow of rotation so when you refit it goes back on the same rotation as when you removed

Notice the most important steps 5,11,16 are the same lol;)

follow kevs links for repair kit

·
1,136 Posts
Cheers guys - will have to try this if & when mine packs up next time. Out of interest do any of you carry a spare alternator just in case / or not worth the £ ?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I now have a spare as a result of above. With the luck I had, I definitely wouldn't buy new again anyway..

·
Premium Member
7,086 Posts
if i was to purchase a new alternator i would go for a slightly uprated one 140/150Amps compared to the oe 130A

wouldnt go out of my way just to purchase spare but as kev if you have old one and can repair then worthwile doing

1 - 20 of 34 Posts