Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a '91 2.3t. Problem is that the turbo only seems to be boosting periodically.
When I accelerate in any gear I sometimes feel the familiar shove as the turbo kicks in :) but other times although the boost needle goes round as normal, no shove!
This is my first experience with turbos, so I am asking for the thoughts of people with considerably greater knowledge than me. Oh and it is totally standard.

Thanks in advance.
Dave.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I'm not an expert on Turbo failure symptoms (thankfully!), but your scenario fits the Abbott web page description of general wear of the standard Plastic Dump Valve. Hence one of the reasons they sell the replacement 'metal' version.

Sounds plausible to me.

You can check if the dump valve is working by disconnecting the small black tube which enters the top of the unit - and blowing (or is it sucking). You should be able to tell if the valve is actually moving by doing this. Seems like after several years the Plastic Dump valves could do with replacement - especially if intermittent boost is experienced.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paul, thanks for the tip, it is indeed the dump valve. Now, much as i might like a nice Abbott one...I can't justify £120 for it...especially when I can get a new "normal" one for £20!
Ah well, a working dump valve will keep me happy, I'm sure...

·
Registered
354 Posts
I don't think an Abbott dump valve alone will improve things much and suggest your recent performance gain was the other fiddling Abbott did. I spoke to Giles who said an Abbott dump valve even plus a performance filter will not give an improvement you would feel if your standard dump and filter are in good condition. These mods are reallyto get the best out of more dramatic mods such as re mapped ecu and big valve head etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts