Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
noticed a dripping from the front yesterday and thought "oh s**t ! water pump/rad" but luckily it looks like washer fluid; I had just filled it after the warning light came on.

So it looks like I've got either a leaky reservoir or pipe/pump.

Looking under the bonnet, the reservoir is buried beneath the OSF wing

Anyone else had such a leak or had cause to change pump/res (I assume access is via the wheel arch but I'll probly get the garage to do it) ?

Is it a one piece res, or in two halves (as usual haynes is less that helpful) ?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think just about all Saabs have this problem at one time or another. You are quite right that it is buried in the front wing and you need to whip the wheel off and the plastic wheelarch liner, front part only though. I think you need a 10mm and 8mm socket to do it quickly. Spanners take a bit longer. Some bolts can be a pig to get off if corroded.
What you will see is the bottom of the reservoir and pipe 1 to the headlight washers and front screen, pipe 2 to the rear screen (if you have a washer there).
On these pipes there are small black "T" pieces with built in one way valves. These always leak and gradually lose water, you should be able to easily tell. You can buy them from Saab or pop into a local car accessory dealer and pick up a regular T piece and a one way valve (it takes ages for the fluid to pump through otherwise). Make sure you cut the pipe and put the valve in between the pump and the T.
In my experience the Saab valves provide better flow of water but obviously have this failure problem.
When you put the wheelarch liner back in grease the threads on the bolts to enable easy removal next time.

Hope this helps,

Duncan

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
access is ,as you correctly surmise, from the wheel arch... however you can access it from underneath by taking the " plastic bit at the bottom of the spoiler " off...(a lot easier than the wheel arch moulding )
and you should see where the water is coming from

I cannot remember whether it is a one piece or a two piece moulding tho....

This happened to me recently and it was a pipe that had "popped " off..a real bu66er to put back on !!

·
Registered
218 Posts
I just found it easier to sit and work on it from the side rather than underneath, saves you getting a mouthful of washer fluid.
I guess you could easily do it with that bit of the undertray removed. Just be careful of corroded bolts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts