Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi Peter,
You can replace the EDU computer quite sinply. The difficult bit is getting it out of the dash & that's not too difficult. Make sure you disconnect the Earth lead from the battery after switching off any security device you might have fitted to the car. EDU's can be found at scrap yards & are relatively cheap. I recently purchased a DCC computer from a scrapie (See my post of the 16/09) & was charged £25. If I can't fit it they will happily give me a refund. I have no idea on new prices but be sure to take a large tub of vaseline with you if you do decide to ask a main dealer.

Does the system post the oil & radiator levels when you switch the ignition on or is the display completely dead?

Mal.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Chances are the backlight bulbs have blown. If you look really carefully you may be able to see the display very dimly under some lighting conditions. The bulbs are cheap and easy to replace - once you've got the instruments out!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Chances are the backlight bulbs have blown. If you look really carefully you may be able to see the display very dimly under some lighting conditions. The bulbs are cheap and easy to replace - once you've got the instruments out!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Fair point. The bulbs it could indeed be. One thing I'd like to add is that I have managed to remove my Trip computer by removong the two blank buttons directly below the seat heater switches. This facilitates removal of those two switches which are directly underneath the Trip Computer. I am then able to insert a finger & apply enough pressure to the spring to release the bottom of the trip computer which in turn makes enough space at the top to get a craft knife in there & free the top by applying pressure to the top spring. It's tough & it depends on the size of your finger. My fingers aren't massive though I have fairly large hands.

This saved me having to gut the dashboard or indeed remove the top panel.

HTH
Mal.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a similar problem, I've seen that the trip computer is still working but is just not illuminated properly - well, not at all now you come to mention it! My question is can any of you tell me the specification of the replacement bulbs I need to buy before I take the dashboard apart?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts