Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading somewhere that it can be useful to perform a trionic adaptation run to effectively clear the slate when getting a new car. I have changed my AERO to optimax or super U/L. It goes a bit quicker but is it worth doing an adaptation run (whatever that means)? Also could the optimax cause my mpg to fall slightly or is it more li8kely the recent cold weather and low running temp doing this? extra question please.. is it normal for a bit of water to drip out of your exhaust just after starting (when its freezing)?

Thanks and a happy new year to all.

Julian (PS if you want to buy my carlsson its pictured on the Hagstrom saab site)(too many brackets) (sorry)))

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
I've 'recalibrated' my DI/APC equipped Carlsson and ended up with no noticable improvement. If your boost is up to scratch it won't improve any more.
The question about MPG and Optimax are linked aren't they...
If you're looking for maximum performance your economy will suffer appreciably. Personally I wouldn't bother with the Optimax as the price differential is so large.
In any case the recent drop in temperature will have had a marked effect on economy unless you're doing lots of miles each journey. (The extra petrol used whilst the engine is warming up has quite an effect on the MPG over the warm up period but will have a lesser effect on overall MPG the more miles you do after the engine is warmed through)
Yes, water vapour is quite normal at this time of year.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
I agree with cdcarlsson's comments about performance and economy. A few drops of water coming out of your exhaust is quite normal at any time of year as it is one of the side effects of burning petrol/air mix, it actually produces a small amount of water. This is most noticeable when the engine is first started and the exhaust is cold.

Neil

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks all for the info but although I'm using optimax I'm not driving harder or quicker most of the time. Should the higher RON in those circs result in less mpg?
Thanks

Julian

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Really the mpg should go up, but with the recent cold weather you can't tell.

Went to the Hagstrom site (he's only 30 miles from me and I'm 12 miles Hannats at Castle Acre).

I think this is the car I looked at a month or so ago, but decided it should be about £1500-2000, like the other 3 I looked at this summer.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Dear Highlander
I've read that to 'recalibrate' the engine management a link is placed across a couple of the pins on the throttle body, but this didn't work for me, I've got a DI/APC type system not a TRIONIC.
When I took my system apart, through curiosity and replaced it, it went through the suggested 'recalibration' ie:
On full throttle the boost gauge showed a higher than usual reading for the first few accellerations but then settled back to its' previous maximum limit.
The car felt quite a bit better whilst it was 'recalibrating', if indeed this is what it was doing, but since is just as before, very nice indeeed
Nick.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
JD -

I have a CS Aero and a 2.3 Carlsson already, as do a couple of others on this forum....

I need to get rid of my 2 900T's before I buy another Plus I now need a gearbox for the carlsson.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I just sold my 89 Carlsson, 161k, minor niggling faults (2 door windows lifter motors need new rubber bushes, sunroof didn't park properly and was very sluggish, rust penetration on o/s wheelarch. Also timing chain rattling when cold). No MoT (car had been off road for 3 months) but otherwise car was good with FSH.
I got £1150 but only after advertising for 3 months.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.