Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all last query (as i have placed 2 already) :)

I have been informed that with trionic 7 engine management system theres alot i cant do to my saab :-(

1) I can't put an atmospheric dump valve on it.... (but i have put one on anyway! I wanted the whoosh! :) hope it dont damage the engine though?)
2) I cannot put an induction kit on it :-( (i tried it anyway and the car lost power :-( so its back to the standard air box!
3) I just have a stainless steel back box but i want a louder exhaust sound!

Can anyone let me know a list of things that i can consider to increase performance?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Hi, welcome to Saabscene. You have come to the right place for your questions.

1. An atmospheric dump valve will most likely cause running problems on your T7 car. The reason is that the air gets dumped out for the system on a shift or lift and it has already passed throught the MAF though. Therefore, less air goes into the engine than reported by the MAF and the fueling and timing may not be correct. I am not sure but it may throw on the CHECK ENGINE light. Answer #2 will have your answer for the sound problem.

2. You can indeed put a improved air intake on your car. It will not be the type with a aluminum pipe running all the way to the throttle body as you may be imagining though. There are two things you can do. 1) modify the existing airbox for a larger intake pipe, or 2) get a open air intake kit manufactured by Speedparts or BSR. See this thread for more info, it is about T5 cars but they are almost exactly the same as for intake. http://www.saabscene.co.uk/ubb/ultimatebb....c;f=13;t=000974

You will get the desired dump valve sound you like but also get the turbo whine/whoosh as you accellerate. Plus you'll get the benfits of better breathing and therefore a bit more power.

3. I can't recommend which exhaust is louder however there are a few alternatives for sport exhausts. Look for a 3" downpipe with either a racecat, sportcat or without a cat. JT, BSR and a few others make these. Then look for a good cat back from the same manufacturers as well as others. I personally have a BSR downpipe with a saab USA catback exhaust.

Good luck with you modding and have fun!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help Eric! I am glad i have found Saabscene! :)

You are right I do have a check engine light on since fitting the dump valve! :-( Do you think it will do much damage if I leave the dump valve on? i like the whoosh noise you see :)

Any of the exhaust places have a website or somewhere where I can view the exhaust types?

The Air intake sounds like a good idea if it will increase power and make my dump valve louder! :) However I have looked at the recommended thread link you put up and I noticed that my car has a AIR-FLOW sensor fitted! Could that be the reason why my car didnt increase in performance? I have also looked at abbot-racing website and they have stated that Induction kits are not suitable for Trionic 7 cars! :-( Is there a way round this do you think or shall i not think about an induction kit anymore?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I do recommend you returning to a stock dump valve or at least a recirculating type. The MAF sending incorrect outputs because of the atmospheric valve must cause some performance loss. An open air kit does indeed exist for a T7 9-3. Speedparts has it listed on their site although BSR doesn't. To do some more searching around the internet, see this page from ERP's website. It has links to most, if not all the Saab tuners and or accesory retailers.
http://www.lehigh.edu/~erp4/SaabParts.html

Do keep in mind his prices are listed for a GM900 but the general availability of the stuff is almost the same and the best part is that he has all the links towards the bottom of the page.

·
Registered
374 Posts
what i have planed for my T-7 Engine....

ECU upgrade
open air kit (speedparts)
Forge dump valve
larger induction pipe for T-7 (Speedparts)
larger/higher flowing I/C
JT 3" down pipe
i already have exhaust from Speedparts

and still thinking of more!...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts