Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a 1992 Black CSE what colour should the rear spoiler, bumpers and plastic trim across the doors be.

They seem to be gray on Saabkats but is this just that they have faded from black?

If it is black then I guess I need to use some black bumper stuff on them.

Steve

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looking at things like the underside edge of the spoiler (which doesn't get as much sunlight) it seems to be gray which is what is confusing me. All the trim seems to be an equal shade of gray which is not what I'd expect if it had faded. Maybe I need to take some trim off totally and see what colour it is inside.

If it is supposed to be gray then its going to be very hard work to get it to be, and stay, black. Which is why I'm checking before I go mad.

The sills (and the wheel arch trim) seems to be a lighter gray than the bumpers.

Woops - I think I might need to resize the image!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
As it is a pain in the neck when you polish the paintwork and the polish gets onto the matt trim. takes ages to clear it off. I need to t-cut my car due to a dog running over it (?) and wonder is there anything I can coat the trim with that'll keep the t-cut off or make it easier to wipe off. I have a spare trim set and am going to paint them gloss black eventually to make it easier on polishing.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
mine is the same, but the only bits that go obviously grey are the bits behind the rear wheels. I find that using Autoglym bumper care restores the plasitc trim quie well and is very good on plastic and rubber after t-cut and polish have got onto it.

Toby

·
Registered
38 Posts
Really old thread to bring back, I know, but I was doing some searches on trim pieces fading. On my 9000CSE, the lower black (or used to be black, or grey) trim pieces have faded to almost white! The front bumper is faded on the outside edges and on about 1/3 of the front. You can check out my cardomain site to see some of the spots I am talking about:

http://www.cardomain.com/id/turbocse

Is there any way to paint them to get a nice look out of them? I was thinking of buying some flat black paint and going over them totally to make it look a little nicer. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi to all
this is my first message (very excited ) I have been reading all the differant threads here for a while and now feel brave enough to have a go so to speak.

Just to let you know Stephen A I had the pleasure of being a car valetor for 8 years and from my experince you will need to do a few little things to make your car look great

Firstly if you do get T-cut or polish on the plastic surfaces it is easily wiped of with white spirit or meths.there may be slight remrance but don't worry too much. once you have finished cutting and polishing and the paintwork is looking good you will be ready for the next step

Secondly you will need to treat the fadded plastic work (this is usualy fadded by the sun also proprietary cleaning products and car washes the chemicals they use in them are pretty rough stuff)

Treat them with some Back to Black or something similar (anything that has a black dye in it and not just silcone oh ps: do wear gloves, trust me that stuff stains
!!!) and hey presto one shiney SAAB oh and the bumper is a differant colour texture as its finished differantly (it has a metalicy type shine to it you can wax these too if you like )

Thanks for reading this message hope it helps.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I used a simonitz or however you spell it product on my c900 T16S and the results were excelent, mine were matt black and although they did not darken to the same black as the body they did look correct, the stuff applies like water but leavs smears on the paintwork if you get it there so a bit of masking tape makes it a bit easier, did two coats also

·
Registered
38 Posts
I picked up some Mother's Back-to-black today (was surprised I found it!) and unfortunately it didn't do the trick for me. I'm going to be taking the sideskirts off and painting them a flat black and see how it looks. The B-t-b worked well on some of the other spots, though!

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
The only thing that got my rubber bumpers (99T 2 door) back to black was Turtlewax 'Extreme' Cockpit, Bumper & Tyre shine. The rest simply did not have any affect. Maybe worth trying before you repaint?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Turbo CSE
sorry to hear that the back to black didn't work for you
(just out of interest did it have a black dye in it? was it a bit like a liquid shoe polish only a little thinner in texture?)

If it did it may be worth a 2nd application just to build up a depth of colour.I have my fingers crossed for you

·
Registered
38 Posts
I tried 2 or 3 coats of the Back-to-Black and although it did help the fade a little bit, it's definitely not back to normal.

I will try some of that Turtlewax stuff and see if it works.

Rughead - It is a pretty watery substance, almost like milk except a little bit thinner.

·
Registered
70 Posts
not sure what to suggest next

although it does sound like the "stuff" you have been using is a silicon based product which is designed to make the "black work" shinier and in this case will only serve to make the "grey bits " shiner instead

Before you buy the turtle wax stuff make sure the liquid is black in colour.As the correct chemical will effectively stain your "black work" back to its original colour.
You may have to clean the other back to black product from the side skirts (try meths)as this may put a barrier of silicon betwen the stain and the plastic.

just to let you know the chemical I used to use was a industrial product called midnight it had a realy strong odour (smelt like thinners so use it outdoors only)
I realy do hope you can find a similar product as i'm sure this will solve your problem and make your car look

·
Registered
181 Posts
If your textured black plastic trim is in a reasonable state before you need to do an aggressive polish I spend 5 minutes with a roll of masking tape and do the door handles, wing mirrors and other bits - that way you can polish evenly right up to the plastic without fear of getting polish on the plastic.

This is especially good for covering the foam around the sunroof, as white polish stains make this look terrible (especially on a dark car).

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
The Turtlewax product is milky white, but I tried a number of products on my rubber bumpers including black liquids, Back to Black, Autoglyms bumper restorer and a couple of own brands, but Turtlewax gave the best results.

To reiterate this was on rubber bumpers, but even trying it on trim and the tyres I found the product gave good results. It is a good idea to try and remove any wax on the surface before you have a go. Rub the liquid in well and leave it for a while, as it seems to penetrate. A second coat may help.

Perhaps someone local can let you try before you buy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts