Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While recognising that any opinion given below is purely based upon that individuals personal experience of the company, and some may wish not to fully comment on their experiences due to perhaps their being in a legal discussion with the company, I wish to capture for the record everyone's experience with Trent Saab.

Please write a short note describing your inquiry, business or contact with Trent Saab and how sucessful that experience was for you.

This won't be used for any other purpose than education.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I bought my uprated brakes for the 9000 from TSL. A good discussion over the phone from Graham, very helpfull and knowlegeable, arranged a full door to door quote for the selected recommended components including VAT and Delivery..deal done.. products shipped and deliveried to me next day.

And indeed the brakes have lived up to being what they say they are. Overall happy with the experience.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have never bought anything from them, but have called in twice, once to their old premises and once to their new.

I confessed that I was a tyre kicker, but Graham was a gentleman - we talked and I came away with the opinion that I would be happy to do business with them. Not many places make such a good impression!

Alyn

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I have only bought brake parts from Trent. I bought their "Group N" kit (front and rear) for my 9000 Aero. Graham is an extremely helpful chap.

I would query the price of the "Group N" kit, though. At one time, the specification called for grooved and/or drilled discs and Trent machined these themselves, adding considerable value. Now, however, the Ferodo DS2500 pads included as part of the "Group N" package are said to work best with plain discs and Trent supply standard Brembo discs without any added machining. These are, of course, very good discs. However, I can buy these for half the price elsewhere.

Also, since Ferodo DS2500 compound isn't available to fit the 9000, Trent machine the backplate of a pad that is a close fit (specified for BMW M3 and Ferrari Testarossa), again adding value. Or at least they used to. Whether they have stopped doing it or whether it was an oversight, when I ordered a set of replacement front pads from them, they hadn't been machined and I didn't find out until I was trying to fit the pads.

Having filed them down once myself, I now buy the pads from a cheaper source as well and modify them myself.

Trent deserve some return from developing and testing the "Group N" package and identifying pads that can be modified to fit the 9000 and give great performance. I also have no objection to paying a little extra for pads that are already modified.

However, double the price for selling standard discs off the shelf sounds a bit much and if I have to modify the pads myself, I'll get them from a cheaper source.

If I decide to go for stiffer springs than the Abbott ones I currently have fitted, I'll definitely go back to Trent for their expertise and level of service.

·
Registered
464 Posts
eibachs (springs and shocks) and a tsl replacement pcv valve...good service on the fone, had to wait for the eibachs to come into stock, after which i recieved a fone call to advise me they were on their way...goods arrived the following day...very pleased..

also a m8 took his scooby there for some upgrades, it was his recommendation that put me onto them

·
Registered
18 Posts
As some of you know i (from Netherlands) went to TrentSaab 2 years ago and had the stage-1 kit installed on my T900 16s...

I was there for 2 days as their 'guest' with Erik van Spelde and indeed this is how we were treated....

Off course there are always people saying that when you spend 1200 UK-pounds it should be like that but i can tell you that also before going there i had lots of phone talks with them and they (Graham) were always answered patiently and with care.

At this moment i found out that my stainless steel exhaust system *(lifetime guarantee) is broken and they offered me to send it to rectify it immediately .

I'll keep you posted on this.
so far so good!

;-)

gr,
felix

·
Registered
162 Posts
(reposted from 9-5 forum)

TSL installed the Eibach pro-kit springs and dampers on my 9-5 estate a few weeks ago.

I found them very friendly and helpful both on the phone, and when I was there. Coffee and a comfy seating area with magazines and a TV is provided, you can also go and watch your car being worked on in the workshop.

Graham, TSL's boss, took me for a test drive on some nice twisty roads afterwards to check I was happy with the results, which I was.

The only drawback was that the job was 700 quid instead of the 650 I'd been quoted, as Eibach had just put their prices up. TSL promised me a credit note for the difference.

Overall: Very hapy with the service

·
Registered
82 Posts
When my Trent stainless system blew (weld round the front silencer went completely, the full 360°) Trents response was to ask me to bring the car up to be fixed, but would have to be sometime after the next couple of weeks. Slightly inconvient as the car was nearly undriveable due to the noise and was needed for commuting to work during that time.

Taking the petrol into account it was cheaper to get my local Longlife to replace the failed box with a straight piece of pipe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts