Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Yes,

Quite a lot, actually

In sort of order of ascending cost:

Try varying the pressures of your existing tyres (free )

Changing the rear ARB bushes, especially to poly ones will help increase traction.

Replace any worn suspension components, be they bushes or shock absorbers.

I don't know if others do one, but Abbott will shortly have a rear ARB upgrade kit available.

Lastly, fit an LSD (Limited slip differential)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mark, I've had the Abbott anti-roll bushes fitted (front and back) along with poly wishbone bushes (major improvement to the handling!), tyre pressures are set to 30 all round at the moment. Still getting plenty of front wheelspin with minimal effort .

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by Mark E:
[qb]Replace any worn suspension components, be they bushes or shock absorbers.
[/qb][/b]
Roger that ... going to the Bilstein sports kit on mine has really helped traction, well helped in that the TCS light comes on less frequently.
Downside is that my clutch slipped for the first time last weekend!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got what look like a pretty cheap set of Goodyears on the front with over 12K under their belt (on the car when I bought it), sailed through the MOT in January, tread looks okay but I guess they're on the way out...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Yesterday I changed from 205/55/16 to 225/50/16 tyres, and it makes a hell of a difference. OK I can still wheel spin it if I give it some welly in 2nd
, but its a surprisingly vast improvement on the previous tyres. They are Pirelli P7 BTW, had a couple of sets now, last 15-20K,I push it a bit and they give great grip

·
Registered
416 Posts
I had the Koni adjustable shocks fitted. When you want lots of traction from starting, then the softer you set them the more you get. This is because when you have a very hard set-up, when the front of the car lifts up, you are in effect pulling the wheels away from the road - sounds odd when written down, but it's true...

I have Goodyear Eagle F1's on my Aero but they have only lasted about 6k miles. Is this bad or are they just soft tyres. I'm getting them changed at the weekend so unless anyone warns me off them I'll buy them again. Superb traction in the dry and SUPERB traction in the wet.

This is what they looked like when they were new :

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.