Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a quick search of the forums which didn't seem to answer my questions, so thought I would check with people here...

I had my 9000 Aero serviced a few weeks ago ready for the trackday, but the garage managed to use 5W30 fully synth oil rather than the 5W40 I specified.

Can someone explain whether this oil is ok, or if I should be going for a more viscous oil when hot?

Following a trip to France I happen to have picked up a few 5 litre containers of Mobil 1 5W40 if I need to change...

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
We had some new semi-synth in the 900 when we bought it and while I don't know what grade it was, it was as runny as hell, especially when hot. We've swapped it for 5W40 Mobil 1 anyway and the engine sounded a lot smoother & happier. Didn't smoke so much either ...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
If it helps at all, I have always used Mobil 1 10W-30 in my 9-3. That included all the autobahn driving and laps on the Ring, even in the high heat of August 2003.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And your 9-3 was driven fairly hard...

Seems to be a split of opinion on this forum and other places I have looked as to what viscosities are best.

> If it helps at all, I have always used Mobil 1 10W-30 in my 9-3. That included all the autobahn driving and laps on the Ring, even in the high heat of August 2003.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Well im going to be sticking some Mobil 1 Motorsport 15W/50 in the VR6 this weekend - summers here so im not worried about the viscosity in the mornings.
Only problem for me is it takes 6 litres
- which means two 4litre bottles

£70 for an oil change aarrrghhhhhhhh

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by tandino TD04 T16S:
[qb]Only problem for me is it takes 6 litres    
   - which means two 4litre bottles    

£70 for an oil change aarrrghhhhhhhh [/qb][/b]
Pete, that's the price you pay for owning one of them teutonic wunderwagons.....

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
Tell me about it, the barge takes 6.8l
plus another 2.5l or so during the first 5000 miles with each new engine

1 - 7 of 7 Posts