Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been on the phone to Abbott, and should be coming along to the Track Day in October.

It will be interested to see how my standard Aero compares to the modified versions that will be going.... BillJ and Bubbles... any others from here going as well?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Great. I don't think I'm the world's best driver, so maybe I'll have more of a chance keeping up with you than with Bubbles. I'll still be taking my spanners on the offchance that I can overtake him, though, and win his upgrades

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Yeah, I'm going. At the moment my 2.3T CD is completely standard, albeit running smoothly with lotsa boost!

But I am seriously considering getting a set of 16" Aeros while they are on special offer at dealers. Basically I lost traction a couple of times yesterday, while it was in 2nd gear and at just over half throttle.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are nice wheels.

Sadly mine are quite chipped from the previous owner.

Not sure if its more economical to have them repaired, buy a new set, or just wait until I can afford some 18s

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Hey,

Remember it's 80% driver and 20% car... as long as we all have fun (which I'm sure we will!) that's the name of the game!!

Maybe we can also do a few swaps/compare and contrast?

BTW on wheels, Saab dealers are currently doing the 16" Super Aero alloys for £340 incl VAT excl tyres. I also noticed that Trent are re-advertising their deal for a 17" set for £260 plus VAT in Driver, although they'e not on their website so may not be correct.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Aye Mark,

I was gonna look at wheel/tyre combo's from both Trents and my local dealer. If I get the 17"'s I'll probably need to keep the 15"'s in reserve as the roads round here are becoming awful, I don't think the 17"'s would stay round for very long.

The Aero's are very nice, but a lot of ppl are going for 16" Aero's as an upgrade so it would be nice to get something different.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As it is 80% driver, 20% car, I am sure I will be way slower than the others as I have never been on a track before.

I intend to treat this first day as a learning experience as opposed to going for it straight away and possibly doing something foolish.

I would be interested in being a passenger in the modified 9000s to see how much difference suspension/performance modifications can make. My one mod so far is a nice Pioneer head unit and changer which doesnt increase my speed greatly

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I'll be approaching the event with the same attitude. If I'm feeling confident enough to take a passenger after a while, you're welcome to come out in my Aero. I'm hoping to set it up for "go-kart" handling for the event, although that may make for a rather uncomfortable drive down there...

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
So, Bill... go kart handling? That'll be masses of oversteer on power out of corners then ...

Seriously though, I'm intrigued what you're going to do other than turn up the front Konis- which you could do at the track (as I recall stiffening the rear ones will not help and may make things worse )

I've driven mine on "full" front stiffness and it's not too bad actually; you've also got the advantage of a little more sidewall height than me, so I think you'lll find it quite bearable.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Can anyone pop along to the track day to watch & stick nose under bonnets etc. I was especially keen to see some of the cars as opposed to having a go because if I total my AERO I can't afford another one. ?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If I total my Aero I certainly wont be able to afford another one, but as the car doesnt ever reach its potential on public roads, I may as well take it on a race track. Carefully

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Mark, I am embarking on a programme of intensive development (i.e. fiddle with it, measure the results, fiddle with it again, etc.). Hopefully, I should be able to make it handle a bit better than it currently does as I have the shocks set quite soft for comfort, possibly too soft for the spring rate. This is rather unnecessary now as I have an unmodified 9000 as well that I can use when comfort is a priority over performance. I just hadn't got around to playing with the rear shock settings.

Yes, go-karts do handle as you describe when I'm driving them, except I find that the oversteer is often sufficient to put me in reverse! I'll be trying to avoid these sort of dynamics on the big day. I, too, intend to avoid totalling my Aero if at all possible.

JFP, as far as I know, anyone can go along, but they do charge for lunch. I don't know whether eating their lunch is compulsory. An e-mail to Abbott at [email protected] should elucidate and I'm sure other people would be interested in their reply.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Advice- for all those of you worried about totalling your cars. Getting them insured is no big deal. Most insurers will normally charge a one off nominal administration fee. The key thing is to mention to them that it will be a "marshalled non-competetive enthusiasts event". They shouldn't have a problem with it, except they will probably increase the excess.

As far as attending goes, I should think Abbott would be reasonably happy for other people to turn up- after all it's going to be promoting their products. If in doubt, give them a ring. I seem to recall Giles saying they were going to try to get an all day BBQ oin the go or something, try to make it a bit more open in format than the last one.

Bill- know what you mean about about the carts... great fun tho'! I remember the last time I did it I had to be very careful all the way home that I didn't drop in to cart mode... I managed it all tha way up til the last roundabout when I forgot and tried to take it "a la cart" so to speak. That certainly woke me up!!

Small thought... to aid recognition for those of us who haven't met before, might I suggest a subtle sized Saabscene logo with our name underneath, placed in the rear quarter window?

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
might I suggest a subtle sized Saabscene logo[/b]
They're being delivered next week - complimentary handful will be going to each contributor that kindly stumped up cash to keep Saabscene going (It was going to be a surprise, but you have pre-empted that.)

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
The best Karting fun I've had (I've only done it three or four times) was when it was really piddling down and we were on slicks. That's the way to learn how to control a kart. It was very challenging without requiring silly speeds or hugely powerful karts and the satisfaction from gradually mastering the handling over the course of the evening was immense.

And MarkA, I think it will be more interesting to see what all these 9000 Aero drivers can do (or can't do, as the case may be)

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Nah, I was going to contact you all individually.

Anyway, who - on Saabscene - is already signed up for the Abbott Track day?

Goodwood is very close to me and I fancy going down there but I don't know if I can afford it. ...well, I could - but it is justifying it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.