Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the subject line says. I reckon that, having chosen Ferodo DS3000's (which aren't that hard wearing either) as a brake pad compound, it seems silly not to go all-out with the tyres (considering that the indicated lifespan of for instance the new Pirelli P Zero Rosso's of 400 km's for racing to 15,000 kms in more sedate road use is not that far from what I reckon to get from a high performance road tyre), but which road-legal track tyre comes in a size small enough to fit the Classic 900 on 16" wheels, and will deal with occasional use on wet roads OK?

Closest for Michelin Pilot Sport Cup seems to be 205/55 (will rub, too high a sidewall anyway); Yoko has 195/50 for the Elise/Exige but those are of course specially constructed for a very light car, the aforementioned new Pirelli's don't come in sizes under 17", ditto Dunlop. Which leaves me with Yoko A032/038 in 205/50, but those are presumably old-school track tyres and not all that geared towards mixed fast road/track use (with road miles being predominant).

So, any alternatives I'm overlooking? A Google search under 'track day tyres' reveals preciuos little.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
Eric,

Bill and I have had very good results with Bridgestone SO3's, both in the wet and dry. They are available in 195/50R16.

Like all road tyres though, they will suffer on the track in the dry when nearly new as their excessive tread depth leads to overheating caused by too much block movement. IIRC the Pilot sport cup start out with a much lower tread depth than regular road tyres- and cost about twice as much!!

Other than that you've identified just about the only other alternatives I've come across- the Yoko 38's and 32's. Their downside for road use is they are very soft indeed and as you say, really meant for lighter cars.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Eric,

Bill and I have had very good results with Bridgestone SO3's, both in the wet and dry. They are available in 195/50R16.[/b]
That's good news - the Bridgestone application guides over here don't list that size.
I'd wager to guess the Abbotts will likely stock them?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I got the info on sizes from Tire Rack ... but I've since dug out my link to Bridgestone on them and according to that they don't do 195/50R16 , but 205/50R16 are available which might be ok?

More info here anyway:

Bridgestone site

It might be worth an email to Tire Rack?

Yup, Abbotts do stock SO3's and they are their recommended performance tyre.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Yes, I agree about the Bridgestones and I'm on 205/55/16 on my Aero. Bubbles is running on 215/45/17 I think?. Brand new ones will take a number of laps to come to life - mine took half a day last time I was at Goodwood, so optimum results would be had if they were on the car for a few thousand miles before hitting the track.

Stil trying to wear out the 16" ones so I can justify putting the 17" wheels on, but it seems every time I drive the car recently it breaks

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
It seems to me that if you frequent enough trackdays, the logical thing to do would be to change your road tyres more frequently so that you keep a stock of tyres that are already "run-in" and therefore save you new tyres from premature expiry.

Obviously if there were enough people running the same size tyres, we could look at setting up a "tyre pool" providing someone has the space to store several sets of tyres.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As it stands, my P6000's are right at 3-4 mm with only 600 sedate running-in miles to go... just perfect for our first trackday...

(You can call this query of mine a pre-emptive move - I'm quite sure we'll need new shoes for Saabine right after our first trackday. For my learner driver experience, the Pirelli's will do nicely, I guess...)

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I still have 2 pirelli P700's (pretty good trad depth) and 2 Bridgestone (RE71?)(2-3mm) in my shed in the fabeled 195/50*16 size

I used to run 195/50*16's on the rear, and 205/50*16 on the front of my old C900 carlsson. because the 195's were so hard to get.

Andrew

1 - 8 of 8 Posts