Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking ahead to 04 track day, i was thinking of putting in a full harness for the day. has anyone done this before, or does anyone know if you can fit to existing seatbelt points?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I haven't heard of anyone doing it except on stipped out cars. A full harness will normally require additional points of anchorage on the chassis.

Having said that, it's really not necessary for track days- an ordinary seatbelt is quite adequate unless you intend driving like a looney (not that I'm suggesting you would
) in which case you'd be pulled off the circuit and sent home...

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its the leather seats more than anything, when braking hard you do tend to slip in the seat.i find setting up the exit to the corner after braking harder with this movement.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by peter messenger:
[qb]its the leather seats more than anything, when braking hard you do tend to slip in the seat.i find setting up the exit to the corner after braking harder with this movement. [/qb][/b]
wear jodhpurs - cheaper than installing multi-point harnesses

I can't say that sliding around in my leather seats was an issue at Anglesey trackday, though?

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
[qb]its the leather seats more than anything, when braking hard you do tend to slip in the seat.i find setting up the exit to the corner after braking harder with this movement. [/qb][/b]
Hmm they must be extra shiny slippy ones then. I don't have a problem with mine and there's one or two around who can testify to how brutal the brakes on my 9000 are...

·
Registered
16,524 Posts
If it worries you greatly, a cheap solution is to get a half metre of that non-slip mesh they sell to put under carpets to stop them slipping - and sit on that. Should work a treat.

Well, it worked on a colleagues Volvo which had large leather seats that he over-polished and it stopped his wife falling off at every corner and stop sign. I must admit that she was very small and her feet barely reached the floor even with the seat as low as possible.

You can get something similar as a boot mat in Halfords. Slightly smaller mesh and a lot more expensive.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats a good idea. i will try that. maybe i do polish my seats to much or maybe i am to keen to get my car on a track, its one of the two. i think maybe the latter.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Originally posted by /john:
[qb] QUOTE
[qb] its the leather seats more than anything, when braking hard you do tend to slip in the seat.i find setting up the exit to the corner after braking harder with this movement. [/qb][/b]
wear jodhpurs - cheaper than installing multi-point harnesses

I can't say that sliding around in my leather seats was an issue at Anglesey trackday, though? [/qb][/b][/quote]Speak for yourself buster, I nearly ended up in the glovebox

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,

full harnesses can be dangerous if you don't also fix a full cage.Your neck will have restricted movement in a roll and you could suffer more serious injury than had you just used normal belts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I have cloth seats and have the same problem in my 9-3 at the Nurburgring. I end up having to adjust my body position in my seat two or three times a lap when really going quick.

Sounds like you may not be driving hard enough, /john.

·
Registered
76 Posts
One easy trick if you have electric seats is to move the seat back a bit and fasten the seatbelt, then "lock" the belt and move the seat forward to your normal position... should work on manual seats too, but I haven't tried yet.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Eric (9-3 Hirsch):
[qb]Sounds like you may not be driving hard enough, /john.          [/qb][/b]
Fair comment. Therefore I shall be getting my ECU upgraded to 270bhp - see if that helps

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Originally posted by /john:
[qb][Fair comment.  Therefore I shall be getting my ECU upgraded to 270bhp - see if that helps        :fawlty:  [/qb][/b]
Its not the power that does it. Its the high corner speeds and lateral g's that move me all over the seat!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts