Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, to go with my new 17" Rimstock RVR11's, I intended to order a set of Bridgestone SO3's. Sadly, there was a two week wait & I wanted my new tyres for Le Mans. So, I have gone for a set of Toyo Proxes T1-S. The Scooby mob seem to love them as do the Lotus crowd & I believe that they wear less than SO3's, so it should be interesting!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long do you reckon, Mark? I certainly was told that they last longer than S03's & I assume Yokohama's too?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Mine were 16" 205/55's (on 3 Spokes) and I was putting out about 280hp and using it!! I was down to the wear indicators within 10000 miles and most of them miles were at high speeds
. Moved the back to the front and carried on as usual! As I have another identical car I was going to put the 3 spokes onto my current car but when I checked all 4 tyres are on the limits so I will wait until my current set, Toyos on the front, mongrel type on the back are worn and will try the Bridgestone. You might be better with the wider tyres...difficult to call. For me the tyres are the only thing keeping you on the road so I always try and put the grippiest tyres on and am not too bothered about wear rates....stems from riding motorcycles

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is producing 290bhp and around that in torque, though quite a few of my miles are motorway ones. I guess 10,000 isn't too bad if you have been torching them a little. I know people who have been getting through Yoko's in less than 5000 miles & that's on a lightweight Elise!

SO3 owners - how many miles are you getting?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by JezF:
[qb]SO3 owners - how many miles are you getting? [/qb][/b]
I get perhaps 8K miles on the front, perhaps less. I got the same with Yokos too. It even looks like the Dunlop SP Sport 01s on the front of my CSE won't last much longer (and it puts out half the power and torque of the Aero).

Track days, of course, shorten the tyre life even more.

Could it be something to do with my driving?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it must be as I have done 20,000 miles on a front pair of Goodyear Eagle Tourings (not recommended) and they still have rubber left on them! Although, I guess their wear rate must be quite a lot better.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting review of Toyo's on one of the Subaru sites ends with the following:

'So to summarise, the Toyo Proxes T1-S tyre are a stunning performer, and an improvement over the Bridgestones. They inspire total confidence in the cars abilities when pushed close to the limit, yet manage to maintain a quiet and comfy ride. Brilliant!'

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Toyo cut their account months ago because they were selling them too cheaply. I was quoted £80 for Toyos & 85 for SO3's + VAT (trade price), so there is not lot of difference price wise. Anyhow, Japanese stuff has historically undercut brands from other countries. Look at the unbelievable price of a Civic Type R when it came out?

They do seem fairly sophisticated tyres having trawled around the web a bit, so we will wait and see!

The Elise BB that I also post on (SELOC) seem to rate Toyos above SO3's but below some of the more track orientated Yoko's. Of course, Saabs are around twice as heavy, so I expect that tyres wil react differently.

Should be interesting to see how they perform, though! I expect with the 17" wheels, a hell of a lot better than my current setup!!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote from a NSX owner:

'Just put new TS-1's on rear of 92 with 65K miles. I have tried several tires, and Toyo has outperformed all including Yoko's for much less money. The TS-1's look great, handle great in the wet, and have a 280 treadwear number. I have 16" fronts and 17" rears aftermarket Momo's. I got 22,000 miles on my last set of Toyo's on the rear--this is over 3 times the Yoko's'.

I am getting excited.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A friend of mine just got rid of his XJR for another Saab (9-5 Aero estate). In two years, his XJR was trailored to the dealer several times (including once, when the brakes seized & he ended up in a ditch)& his warranty claims totalled £10,000!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
TSL (trent saab) seem to recommend the toyo proxies very highly..
so must be pretty good!

'So to summarise, the Toyo Proxes T1-S tyre are a stunning performer, and an improvement over the Bridgestones. They inspire total confidence in the cars abilities when pushed close to the limit, yet manage to maintain a quiet and comfy ride. Brilliant!'

Will you all now listen to me...

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I had the predecessors to the T1's (U1's and F1s's) and they were pretty good, but I then started to use P-Zero's as I could get them for £25.

I think when you get to this level all makes are pretty good.

Andrew

·
Registered
215 Posts
I couldn't find Toyos of any kind on mytyres.net, having seen them listed about 2 weeks ago. So I mailed them (mytyres) and indeed, they are not stocking them at the moment. Anyone recommend a cheap source for Toyos?

I previously bought T1-S from them for the wife's 106 GTI (in the smallest size) and they are great. I've had them on 3 Mk2 Golf GTIs and got about 15K miles on a set. I would have got a few K more I think but I am really anal about tread depth since writing off my Corrado VR6 in a skid which I knew was running on so-so fronts.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts