Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a look on the Townsend site for any info on Derrick's 'Hot Topic'problem.
The wiring diagrams there are excellent but don't seem to cover later models ( they don't all cover all 'country' variations either).
Excellent though it is, the site doesn't seem to be very up to date now.
Does anyone know where more up to date wiring diagrams are available, of at least the same quality as Townsends?
Anyone know where the Townsend ones originate from?

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I can only answer one of those - I believe the diagrams come from the Saab workshop electrical manuals. I keep meaning to try to get hold of one of these, but haven't yet got round to it. Of all the Saab manuals in the set, the electrical manuals seem to be the most useful. I agree that the diagrams are excellent.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I can answer the second. Take out a subscription at www.alldatadiy.com this has loads of information and extracts from all of the workshop manuals (and is not just Saab).
It is relativly inexpensive ($25 or$14 for renewal I think).
It is by no means complete and is year/model specific, but I'm on my 3rd subscription so I think it is good enough to spend my hard earned cash on.
David

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi David.
So, could you have a look and see if there is any info to help Derrick ( and others )find out what operates the cooling fan on a 1995 9000 CSE Turbo.
See 'Hot Topic' thread for full info.Thanks.

·
Registered
152 Posts
nope 'fraid not, my current subscriptions are for a '91 and a volvo 940, I havn't got round to switching it to my '98 aero.
I can comment though, from '95 (or there abouts) there is no fan switch in the radiator, the temperature gauge sender in the block is a two wire component, previous ones (with fan switches in the rad) were all single wire. This two wire sensor sends info to the temp gauge and to the EDU, which controls the fan relay. I can't add more than that without the wiring diagram, but I would guess that any fault there would not be simple to fix (and I'm not convinced that Derrick's problem is with the fan).
The Haynes is, of course, useless, it doesn't even mention the design change...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Bill, it seems pretty complete and has been completely accurate for everything I've had the misfortune to have to look at. This includes DI/APC, heater fan, radiator fan, electric seats, memory seats, ABS and TCS, cruise control, etc....
The diagrams are exactly the same as those on the Townsend site, they are high quality scans and usually have keys to identify components.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by CarlyKeith:
[qb]
  Wonder if they'd let us join as a group.?[/qb][/b]
I'd bet not. Subscription is "for personal use only" and "non-transferable with prior written consent", etc...

DrD, another question - I notice that for 1996, the CS, CSE, and Aero are listed separately, the differences mainly being the engines. Does your '91 subscription only cover one engine option? I don't really want to have to take out two subscriptions to cover two '96 9000s, because I need another for the '95 (electrics were a bit different) and that starts to get expensive...

Also, is there really no coverage of the 2.0 litre engines at all after 1990? i.e. no information on the B204 engine? Or is all that stuff in there incidentally from being taken from the Saab literature, but not mentioned?

For example, one thing I'd really be interested to know would be the correct base boost pressure for a '96 CSE 2.0LPT auto, but I'll bet they didn't have one of those in the US.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Bill, their model coverage is a bit patchey to say the least. Even in '91 there is no coverage for 2.0l models. They appear to take the top models and assume the base models are a subset (which in most cases is probably true). The big exception of course is the 2l engine, which pre '94 and balance shaft is very different to the 2.3.
Having said that I've had a look through the stuff in my '91 subscription and very often there is specs for the other options, e.g. I've just looked up base boost and oil capacities and in both cases they have tables listing the specs for all variants.
I don't think you would need to take out two subscriptions for the '96 variants, one will probably cover 95%, if not all, of the other. I'm not really clued up about the differences between '95 and '96 so I won't comment there.
I would be tempted to take out the '96 subscription and only consider the '95 if you have a problem that cannot be covered by the '96.
Hope that helps, sorry I can't be any more specific...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts