Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How legal/wise/viable would towing a Saab 9000 with a towing brace (not the one man operation one, just a bar rather than a rope) 40 miles with a 4x4 Diesel 1.9 Scenic. The 9000 has no MOT/Tax but has no major faults. However reading the saab manual states with an auto (like it is) no speed above 30 and top ATF fluid up an extra 2 litres. What are peoples opinions with this whole idea....am I being madcap in even suggesting it!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Legaly I don't think you have a problem,but your gearbox may never be the same again,the same goes for the towing vehicle,the 9000 is a heavy [expletive deleted] and a 1.9 is going to sweat.
mike

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
I think legally you may have a problem actually if you use a towing brace and don't have anyone in the 9000. You'd be way, way over the towing limit of the scenic.

Rigid towing braces are a good idea to help stop the towed car running into the back of the towing car
, but I'd never consider using one for a car that is more than about 75% of the towing car. I'd be more inclined personally with your combination to use a decent tow rope with some give.

Perhaps contrary to what you may think, the only advantage 4wd gives you on the Scenic is prbably more kerb weight. Other than that you're nto going to need the traction and you lose power in it... you should also check on the hill start capability of the Scenic when towing- that info should be in the handbook.

In summary- I wouldn't do it for anything more than a couple of miles as a last resort.

Far better to find yourself a friend with another 9000 (non auto ideally) and get them to tow as the 9000 has a maximum braked towing capability of 1800kg

Mark

·
Registered
600 Posts
I must admit i would just drive it (assuming brakes are Ok) if its just that the tax and MOT have run out. Chances of getting stopped ?

If you were a member of the AA and had relay, then depending on what was wrong with it, you could just say it had stopped working.

Having towed cars in the past, personally, I would not tow a big heavy SAAB with a Scenic. The money you save just isn't worth the hassle & potential damage.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
It is legal to drive to a testing center without road tax and MOT,the vehicle must be insured,providing you have pre-booked you are OK,I dont think that you even have to book into your nearest test center.
Mike

·
Registered
413 Posts
Definitely illegal to tow a car not taxed or MOT'ed on the public highway. It is illegal for it to 'be'on the highway.

I agree with the other negative replies relating to the more technical aspects of your question.

In general, towing using a bar rather than a rope is much the better option imo.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Bad idea to tow an auto.

The whole thing relies on ATF pressure from a pump on the input shaft.
No engine revs = no pressure = no lube (hence the extra 2ltrs ATF)

Definately wouldn't want to go 40miles.

and BTW - the scenic could pull it no probs.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ended up being abkle to drive it there. The TCS fault on it was strange. It would come on 99% of the time you started the car and would make it run rough (i.e. revs too low) but the one percent you start it and there is no TCS light lit and it runs like a dream, never coming on while you driving it (in fact it never really has ever while we've owned it)...until you turn off the ignition again and restart and then its back to square one. Hopefully ken will be able to to fix it easily and cheaply (finger and toes crossed)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.