Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
9000 cse my93

Does anyone have fitting instructions for a towbar (I haven't seen one in the flesh yet - just want some idea of what is involved)

Also:

Is the car prewired and if so where is the connection?

Deebel

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by /john:
[qb]if you have the towbar kit part number then I might have the installation instructions. [/qb][/b]
Sorry /john,

Don't have any details yet. Just considering putting one on as I am selling my Volvo (which has)

Deebel

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
The Haines Manual indicates on diagram 7 that the trailer connector is a plug somewhere. Thinking back to my H reg (which had a 1 peice tow bar) it was properly plumbed in. Kathy's 93 2.3T has the offical Saab 2 peice tow bar (so you have a pole on the car and then a lock on tow hook).. I will check the wiring on that tomorrow (If I get time, after filling in all the paperwork so I can apply for my own job!, before it goes dark.

Steve

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Not sure on the later 9000's but on the early 9k's the wiring plug socket is just behind the spare wheel (to the right IIRC)but I didn't use the plug just tapped a feed from before the plug.
As for the fitting this involves removing the rear bumper and towing eye,Then bolt the tow bar to the back of the bumper (3x17mm bolts) refit the bumper and put two 14mm bolts(?) into the bottom of the towbar into the mounting holes of the original towing eye.easy as that takes no time at all no drilling or messing about

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Saabman:
[qb]As for the fitting this involves removing the rear bumper and towing eye,Then bolt the tow bar to the back of the bumper (3x17mm bolts)............................ easy as that takes no time at all no drilling or messing about      [/qb][/b]
Thanks Saabman . Your 1000th post has answered my query .. sounds pretty straight forward

Steven

Presumably a big difference in price between the two part (Saab?) bar and the one part?

Deebel

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
[qb]if you have the towbar kit part number then I might have the installation instructions. [/qb][/b]
!! Can this be true for a man that has such a major (publicly pronounced) aversion to caravans... or did you end up buying the SOC chairmans behemoth on the quiet...

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
On my '96 CSE auto, the towbar connector is in the left-rear wheel-well, hidden behind the carpet. It looked as if the original towbar electrics had been "scotchloked" into the cables by the connector. When I fitted a new towbar (for my dad to tow his trailer, honest!) I did something similar.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Bubbles (fka Mark E):
[qb] QUOTE
[qb] if you have the towbar kit part number then I might have the installation instructions. [/qb][/b]
!! Can this be true for a man that has such a major (publicly pronounced) aversion to caravans... or did you end up buying the SOC chairmans behemoth on the quiet... [/qb][/b][/quote]Ah, but the polite and acceptable use of a towbar is when trailering another Saab The antisocial use is using it to pull your fibreglass house. Anyway, the SOC chairman's caravan is bigger than my house!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I found the electrical connector behind the nearside bulb access flap, but you'll probably have to drag the carpet away from the whole corner to discover the connector.

as memory serves it is ~8 pin connector, this also includes a break circuit for the fog light (if this is included on your socket)

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Presumably a big difference in price between the two part (Saab?) bar and the one part?[/b]
I imagine so - my H reg came with the one part installed, our K reg came with the two part installed - its much neater with just a small black box to cover the pole but it does mean you end up with a very heavy lump of metal lying round (in its own designer saab nylon bag) in the back of the car.

Steve

·
Registered
138 Posts
I fitted a Towsure towbar to my '92 CSE. After spending a fruitless hour trying to get the bumper off (rusted nuts & bolts) I found that it wasn't necessary, you can just bolt it straight on with the bumper in place.

Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.