Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have 2 9000 CSE both whit out a towbar, but becaus I would like to tow the boat whit one of the saabs I have to buy one.
The Questions:
1. Is it possible to RE-fit a 9000 whit a towbar?
2. Is for the 9000 available also one you can clap under the bumper when you dont need it?
2.1 Do those clappable ones work or should it be always there???
3. How much would it cost?

Thnx for your help

·
Registered
430 Posts
I can only give advice that applies to cars in the UK but I would think that the prices should be similar in Europe.

Most tow bars available for the 9000 are of the 'Fixed ' type. That is the towing ball itself is permanently attached to the tow bar.
Better quality tow bars of this type in the UK cost around £100-£120.

I have seen 'removable' type bars where the outer part of the tow bar can be taken off and stored in the car when you don't need it. They are much more expensive , £250 plus. But they do have to pass all the same safety tests so they should be as strong as a normal one.

·
Super Moderator
2,709 Posts
Hi Flying SAAB (FIN )

I fitted a tow bar to my previous 9000 a few years ago. It was amazingly cheap since the 9000 is fitted with captive nuts in the back of the bumper and so the kit you have to buy is very simple. I bought a Witter one at about £30. It was really easy to fit since there is a conector block already fitted into the wiring loom.

Just lift the carpet in the spare wheel well on the left side. In all it took less that an hour.

[email protected]

·
Registered
257 Posts
wish I was in Italy----its chucking it down with (cold) rain here.

- Buy a reputable make of tow bar - I fitted one to a rover 200 (Honda clone) that caused cracks in the spare wheel well - it was cheap, so was the quality.

Al

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
We have a MY92 CSE and a MY96 CSE. The MY92 has a two part tow bar (the end unlocks and can be taken off).

The bottom section of the rear bumper on the MY92 has got a notch cut in it - and the same would have to be done on the MY96.

So yes - you will need to carry out minor surgery on the rear bumper

Steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.