Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having seen the price of octane-boosters in my local motor factor, I was thinking of giving this stuff a try. I've never seen it for sale as 'toulene' anywhere, so is it sold under a different name in the UK? Is it just 'white spirit'?

Longer term, I'm thinking of a more permanent fix for the whole pinking thing. Anyone ever come across the BoostCooler kit from SnowPerformance? Given the current US$ exchange rate, it looks good value.

Thanks,
Alan

·
Registered
608 Posts
I have seen it for sale in the UK, I went to my local stockist today for some, and he had none left, new stocks arriving later this week !

For the life of me I cant remember the name, but, it does come from the US.

Ill let you know when I get some later this week!

·
Registered
430 Posts
When I had a proper job in engineering we used to use it in various processes for degreasing and as a thinner/ cleaner for some of the strange paints we applied.

I seem to rememeber getting it from ICI but we did buy a lot of it.

Local chemical suppliers should stock it.

have a look at octane boosters if you haven't seen it already

·
Registered
360 Posts
Lots of carcinogens in unleaded petrol - and toluene is another! Be careful if you manage to get some and start sloshing it about.

·
Registered
14,305 Posts
The material safety data sheets that I've seen for toluene don't say it's a carcinogen. However benzene, which is part of the same organic group IIRC is, and used to be added to petrol.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Inwood Models (01480 411519 www.inwoodmodels.com) do methanol for GBP5.99 a gallon or, much better still, nitromethane for GBP13 a litre. Check out the octane raising ability of nitromethane (aka 'rocket fuel') to see what I mean!

Alanb

·
Registered
662 Posts
any car paint stockist will sell it.that where i get it,at £20 for 5 gallons.i use it at about 25% to a full tank.noticeable extra

simon.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
On my 0-100 run I was testing Torco Accellerator. It's only avialable (to my knowledge) in the USA. But similar additives may be available in Europe. It was as effective as two gallons of Toluene.

Unfortunately the cost is about the same as Toluene, so the only real advantage is the fact that this Torco additive was only 32 ounces. It could easily be carried and mixed nearly anywhere. Otherwise there was no advantage.

For those in the US here is where I bought mine:

http://www.need4speedpower.com./torco.html

They are a distributor, and the source company (which does not sell directly to the public) is here:

http://www.torcoracefuels.com/torcoenter.htm

Dubbya~

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]did some research...
informed opinion is that it is not a carcinogen but it is a powerful soporific and is the ingredient sought out by people who abuse solvents

however on its application..this was an interesting article...
 http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html  [/qb][/b]
I believe either I quoted that article here before. Found it in the water injection forum if I'm not mistaken.

Interesting stuff.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
found it by doing a search on Toluene ...

great stuff came up...

you should see what the medical effects are of long term exposure ...yeeuuuccchhhh...

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Will this only be of use to turbo engines or would the V6 benefit from it as well, also going if you were into a car paint stockiest to buy some, what are you actually asking for, toluene or nitromethane or what.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Learn something every day, i used to do spray painting and always new it as Xylene Thinners, didn't know it by its proper name.
, think i will try it as i have a gallon in the shed , see if it works with a N/A as well as a turbo.

·
Registered
181 Posts
So let me get this right - ICI 2k? standard thinners or celly thinners? - I think I'll be raiding the in-law's spray painting workshop!

So have people mixed it with ATF etc as described on the previously mentioned website, or just mixed it the neat Toluene with petrol in the tank?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is what I'm wondering...most 'off the shelf' stuff like paint thinners, white spirit, etc, seems to have a fairly low toluene content according to the MSDS's I've seen.

Can you actually buy 'neat' toluene in this country? Or are there other products that have a sufficiently high content?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts