Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that Halfords sell 3 tube touch up paint for Saabs (as well as many other brands), has anyone tried it?

If so, any feedback?
How does it compare to Saab original Touch Up packs?

The touch up paint is available for Black & Silver Saabs (not sure if they do other colours - but that was all I saw in stock), and it comes with the following for £10:

- Fibreglass brush for clean up.
- V-Fine emery paper pad.
- Grey primer appliance
- Colour Paint appliance
- Lacquer appliance (supplied with metalic paints only)

Each appliance has a brush installed in the cap, and also a fine nozzle on the end of the cap for applying very controlled anmounts of paint to hairline scratches, etc.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Somebody (and I maintain it was Mrs Gassy) has gently modified the front spoiler, and cracked off a small chunk of paint. Sounds like I'll have to give the Halfords stuff a try.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I had one for my silver H reg and it worked very well. patched a few stone chips in various places and with a bit of work it blended in very well.. it still showed up if you looked closely but much much better than a rust spot.

Wish they did it in the colour for my existing car as I have a severe chip in the bonnet (right through to the primer base) caused by a large chunk of stone that came off a truck.

Steve

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Tried it, and although I haven't used the colour paint yet (only the undercoat up to now) I'd say that it is only any good for fine scratches & stone pits, because the "brushes" you get have only about three filaments. You'd be at it forever doing something bigger than pea-sized. (and we're talking petit pois here)

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
I've never been able to get the colour I need in the 3 packs, however, I've found their "mixed to order" paints to be a fantastic match. Even the red touch in I bought blends in well, provding the surrounding area is given a good polish afterwards.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I would recommend Halfords paint mixing /matching service available from the larger stores. Being a bit ignorant about treating scratches, the guy serving pointed out the bit and pieces I needed (fine emery cloth to prep. and lacquer to finish). The midnight blue metallic that they mixed was a close match and the end result on the car I would give 8/10. If you look closely at the paint work you can see the work done. But I suppose if you want 10/10 seek the help of a professional !!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Sorry, maybe need to mention that you need to take the orginal manufacturer colour code (out of the sales brochure / I checked with Saab Customer Services). They then look at their colour mixing bible to ascertain the neccessary ingredients and measures....

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
Originally posted by Vernon:
[qb]you need to take the orginal manufacturer colour code (out of the sales brochure / I checked with Saab Customer Services).[/qb][/b]
It's also written on the label on one of the rear door frames, along with the tyre pressures.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I would recommend Halfords paint mixing /matching service available from the larger stores. Being a bit ignorant about treating scratches, the guy serving pointed out the bit and pieces I needed (fine emery cloth to prep. and lacquer to finish). The midnight blue metallic that they mixed was a close match and the end result on the car I would give 8/10. If you look closely at the paint work you can see the work done. But I suppose if you want 10/10 seek the help of a professional !!  [/b]
Why muck about with mixed up paint from Halfords when you can buy the real thing in aerosols ans touch-up sticks from Saab at very reasonable prices?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts