Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was advised by my local Saab expert to check the tightness of the cylinder head bolts, due to a slight oil weep from the front nearside of the head. So, during the current quiet and dark period, I removed all the necessary bits, and then found that I needed a Torx socket for the head bolts. I went to Autobase and Halfords, but only found sockets upto E16, which did not look large enough.

So, does anyone know:

1) What size do I need?
2) Are there any other Torx sockets needed on the car, and their sizes?
3) Is there anywhere obvious to buy them from?

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
IIRC its something like 20-25....
its the E socket, or female torx..
You will find most screws on the car are torx, so it would be prudent to buy a small selection of torx drivers...
find a Halfords 'superstore' they should have most things, if not have you a local brown brothers or partco??
could also try: toolbank
HTH

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Like mutungi says, if its leaking it no good. tightening isn't going to help.

saying that, I ran my aero with a small oil weep for 3 years before the gasket finally let go, and that was a water to cyl 1 leak not an oil one.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Saabman, I beg to differ, but it is an E16 (I have done a couple of 9k head gaskets and this is the only torx socket I have in my toolbox) I got mine from http://www.drapertools.com/draper/template...8094&title=%26% currently £3.34
I agree with others that tightening the bolts is probably not going to help and is probably not a good idea.
Almost every 9k I've owned or looked at has had some oil weepage, unless it is significant I would leave well alone.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am glad to confirm that DrD is correct, and I too now possess a single E16 socket, purchased from Allparts in High Wycombe, should anyone else be in need. Halfords have sets of 5 or 6 sockets upto and including E16.

Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts