Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still not happy with the cabin vibrations that I get in my 9k Aero, especially at motorway speeds.

I am thinking of removing some of the poly bushes that I have recently had fitted. I have got the following:

Abbott front rear wishbones
Superflex front front wishbone
Superflex front and rear anti roll bar bushes
Superflex torque arm (*1)
Superflex front anti-roll bar link bushes

Something is causing extra vibration to enter the cabin & I am pondering at ditching the front front wishbone bushes and the anti roll bar link bushes. What do you guys think?

Ed Abbott reckons that Superflex are altogether too hard for the 9000 - their poly bushes are of a softer compound (made by Powerflex).

Any comments greatfully received. I do need a car that cruises comfortably on the motorway. At present, my Saab does not fullfil that requirement.

If I don't get it right, the 9k will have to go and enter a new Volvo, courtesty of Fords new 20% staff discount!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
The rear anti-roll bar bushes are a ten minute job once the car is jacked. As the Saab parts are very soft even when new this might be a good start...

Nick.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, but I think that the problems are coming from the front of the car. As few have front front wishbones in poly, I might remove them and replace with stock rubber bushes.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I think you're probably doing the right thing. The standard rubber front wishbone front bushes are very stiff anyway.

Also, are you getting vibration at idle? If so, this is probably down to the torque arm bush. Which did you fit, front or rear? I found no discernable increase in vibration with just the rear fitted. Having since fitted the front one too, vibration is very noticeable.

When doing mine, I was keen to change only one set of bushes at a time to see what the effect was.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bill, I think you were wise to do this & in hindsight, I should have done the same. Vibration at idle is fine - I have the front torque arm bush in poly only. The vibration is there all the time when on the move, but worst at motorway speeds & I know it is not wheel balancing. It seems that any movement in the suspension is picked up through the cabin. Not good!

I will report on my findings later on in the week.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Jez,
I've got the Abbott Racing front wishbone bushes and front/rear anti-roll bar bushes fitted and I didn't get any increase in vibration, so maybe it's being caused by one or more of the other bushes you've fitted.
Giles did say to me, when I enquired about the Abbott engines mount bushes at the same time, that these would increase the vibration through the car.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am hoping that it is the other bushes. For reference, Abbott poly is much softer than Superflex poly. I am removing both on Friday before an 1600 round trip to Chamonix, so am hoping that this will do the job.

The torque arm was done a while ago and made little difference to vibration at speeds, which is my problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts