Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am up for some fun on saturday..
local scoobynet has booked a local rolling road (dastek in Dalgety Bay)

What % toluene should I run for max scooby -humbling power ?(while keeping it sensible )
I am thinking something like 10-20 %

any advice ?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Just a shame you guys can't get Torco over there. Cheaper than Toluene. (Unless you buy the Toluene in 5+ gallon barrels and mix it.) It's also more convenient.

That being said, 20% Toluene rocks!!

Dubbya~

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Ylee, are you using toluene or thinners, and would this make any differance to the V6 or only to the turbo engines.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Ylee, if you have the time to spare, have a read on www.gtr.co.uk - forums - (general skyline related chat) under 'octane booster'.
There is a lot of information on boosters and fuel, so long as you are prepared to read all 24 pages!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]It only makes a difference to an engine that adjusts to octane rating...turbo's only uiavmm    [/qb][/b]
not just to ones that adjust. just ones that knock without it. the least ammount of toluene you can get away with the better.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ylee, if you have the time to spare, have a read on www.gtr.co.uk - forums - (general skyline related chat) under 'octane booster'.
There is a lot of information on boosters and fuel, so long as you are prepared to read all 24 pages!![/b]
brilliant thread ....

took me a long time but worth it

So my octane booster will be 10 % toluene with 1% IPA
methinks I see a commercial proposition ....

·
Registered
836 Posts
As far as I recall, that 1%IPA (isopropanol, not Greene King ) was 1% of the toluene content, not 1% of the fuel total.

I'm trying xylene/isopropanol as
A) it has slightly higher octane rating and
B) was slightly cheaper than toluene, from my source.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I had a rubber seal on the inlet to the gas tank leak several months ago. Saab graciously replaced it under warranty. Seemed to be a freak issue.

However, Xylene was later brought to my attention as a rubber corrosion agent. Since I did not immediately fuel up after putting some in the tank it may have been resposible.

Remember it's already in gasoline in small quantities. Small concentrations should be safe. Just fuel up after or use at your own risk!

Dubbya~

1 - 15 of 15 Posts