Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone willing to disclose where they purchase Toluene, seems a very secretive practise
Have checked previous posts but can anyone give me a definitive answer to whether Toluene is just everyday paint thinners or is it one of the components of thinners?
Would prefer to use the purer stuff but where from?
Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
It can be bought in a number of places. Chemical supply companies sell it in large quantities. Large paint places do as well.

Basically you just have to go to several paint places and try to find one that sells PURE Toluene. If it's not pure, god only knows what else is in it. Probably nothing harmfull, but I wouldn't risk it.

I've tried Toluene, Xylene, and this stuff: http://www.need4speedpower.com./torco.html

The last one, Torco, I have found to perform as well as two gallons of Xylene or Toluene and to cost less. Not only that, but it performs as well and isn't hard to get into your tank like Toluene can be.

It's basically just pure MMT in a solution of Toluene. It would take 98 Super up to about 103 if mixed with one can for your entire tank. It can also blended with two cans per tank, but that would raise the octane higher than the Saab could ever need. Overkill.

I've found with torco and insulated intake pipes that the car refuses to knock down the boost ... even at 35C+ degree ambient temps.

Good hunting.

Dubbya~

·
Registered
836 Posts
Try 'Solvents with Safety' ltd, Harworth,
nr. Doncaster.

They sell pure (industrial grade, not 100.0000% pure lab stuff) toluene, xylene and anything else you could fancy. I don't know if they sell to the general public though? Prices are cheap too!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Andy, I couldn't track down 'pure' toluene either, so I asked my local auto paint supplier what had the highest toluene content. After initially looking at me a bit funny, he recommended 'standard thinners'. It's a toluene/xylene mix, with a few other ingredients, but seems to do the job pretty well

Alan

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
standard thinners? this isn't white spirits/ turps as sold by the likes of B&Q/Focus is it, as these do not mention any toluene content?
Couldn't find anything along the lines of "standard thinners". Grandad in B&Q said "ah its turps you want".
The contents label just states it contains less than 10% methanol so I don't think it is, is it???

·
Registered
608 Posts
Hi,

You want to try cellulose thinners, probably best purchased from a motor factor.

I paid £6.40/5litres, tetrosyl was the manufacturer

·
Registered
836 Posts
NO, it definately isn't white spirit or turps.

Cellulose thinners does contain some sort of a mix of toluene, xylene and methanol (and possibly other things) so it is the right sort of product, but you don't know exactly what you are getting.

I found 100% pure xylene 25l for under £16

Hmmmm, octane booster which is cheaper than the fuel it is boosting...... that's a novelty

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hi Andy

You can get Toluene (aka methylbenzene) from Fisher Scientific, based in Loughborough (call 01509 231166, fax 01509 231893 or email [email protected])<br />
5 litres = £39.31 each for 1-3 containers.
5 litres = £35.38 each for 4+ containers.

Fisher Scientific (http://www.fisher.co.uk) state that - "Please contact our Direct Sales team on 01509 555938 who will set up your account. Please note we do not sell chemicals to private individuals" - so you may have to set up an account/register before you try and place an order.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Originally posted by Stunut1:
[qb]5 litres = £39.31 each for 1-3 containers.
5 litres = £35.38 each for 4+ containers.

[/qb][/b]
That's £7.86 a litre

I'll stick with my 64p a litre thanks!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well I got Tetrosyl cellulose thinners from Wilco's today, £5.89 for 5l, says it contains Toluene, Xylene and Methane(less than5%).
Only recently filled up so only room for 5l, will add another 5l in a couple of days when I've made some space in the tank

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK, I'm a simple soul

I've now added two cans of this stuff to my tank and I have two concerns
I have melted two plastic syphons as thinners is obviously nasty stuff and has a taste for plastic.
So firstly, anyone know where you can buy a metal syphon from? Secondly, and probably more importantly, I think the 9000 tank is plastic ( am I right?) so what is the thinners doing to my tank?
Maybe I don't want to hear the answer to question two

On the upside............this stuff works, I've gone supersonic for £1.18 a litre!

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Originally posted by Andy Aero:
[qb]OK, I'm a simple soul    
     [/qb][/b]
Me too, what does this stuff do and is it legal?

More important, is it safe
Xylene is dimethylbenzene, C6 H10. It is used as a solvent in microscopy.

It may cause aplastic anaemia.
[/b]
Toluene is a complex hydrocarbon closely related to benzene. It is extremely toxic to cells. It is produced as one product of burning polyurethane foam.

It has several associations:

aplastic anaemia
bronchospasm if inhaled
potentially carcinogenic; liver and kidney tumours noted
Treatment is supportive - there is no specific antidote.
 [/b]

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Originally posted by Andy Aero:
[qb]Think I've developed this ache...........this aplastic anaemia, whats the syptoms like then    [/qb][/b]
Try this for size here!

If the bone marrow transplant doesn't work you'll die anyway, a degrading, shocking and painful death, sadly I have seen it first hand.

Interesting that we cant tell jokes but we can recommend adding this stuff to our cars

·
Registered
234 Posts
From what I've read, toluene/xylene are the main ingredients in 'off-the-shelf' octane boosters. Toluene is also an ingredient in petrol, at least in the US, although I'm not sure in what concentration. Therefore, I'd like to think a petrol tank would be able to cope with it at 10-20%.

I got a big orange filler from halfords for adding thinners, and they didn't seem to affect it all. Tougher plastic maybe?

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Originally posted by Adrian W:
[qb]I had a rubber seal on the inlet to the gas tank leak several months ago.  Saab graciously replaced it under warranty.  Seemed to be a freak issue.  

However, Xylene was later brought to my attention as a rubber corrosion agent.        Since I did not immediately fuel up after putting some in the tank it may have been resposible.  

Remember it's already in gasoline in small quantities.  Small concentrations should be safe.  Just fuel up after or use at your own risk!

Dubbya~ [/qb][/b]

·
Registered
1 Posts
Toluene appears to mega toxic.Its harmful to humans when it is combined with oxygen.Animals can excrete it but humans cant.
On the plus side you drive fast like a rat out of an aquaduct on the way to the hospital for the chemotherapy.
Me thinks i wont be sticking this in my car!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts