Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new car. There are a few things I have to consider when purchasing. 1) I'm 6'7" tall so I need a fair bit of leg room. 2) I have 2 kids so space in the rear/boot is important. 3) I cover around 15,000 miles per year. I've tried a lot of cars and the 9000 seems to meet all my requirements.

Basically, I've seen a nice looking 9000t 2.3 and am wondering if there's anything specific that might be wrong. I'm not a mechanic and would appreciate any advice on what and where to check. By the way, it's on the forecourt for £5290, P reg with around 72,000 on the clock. Does this sound expensive?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

PS. I'm 27 with 7 years no claims. Is the 9000t expensive to insure? (Personally, I would have thought so!)

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I hope most of your height is in your legs, otherwise you will find that the 9000 head restraint does not go high enough. I'm a measly 1.73m, and it only just goes high enough for me. I do not understand why the Saab seat, which is excellent in every other way, has this limitation.

Which model is it, and which 2.3 turbo, full or light pressure? Seems a tad expensive to a tight fisted person such as myself.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
At that price I would expect the car to be near perfect. It is expensive, though that probably reflects the mileage and dealer prices. For that money it must have a Full Saab Service History. In fact it should just have been serviced (every 12,000 miles I believe). Having just looked (literally on autotrader) there are dealer cars that are more expensive, but on the other hand you could probably get a very nice private 225BHP Aero for about a grand less.

Main things that go and are expensive are timing chains, slave cylinders, master cylinders etc. The car should come with a warranty for that money, but check exactly what is included.

For insurance there are plenty of threads on Saabscene regarding this - try the search facility for this.

To get you started, companies like Chris Knott, Richards Vines & Levy and I believe Direct Line have been cheap for some. Is this a 2.3 Light Pressure Turbo?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What's the Danish for "half baked"? That might be more appropriate!! It's a name I used to use on another forum and just got used to it. Never knew it actually meant anything. Cheers.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi Bakleth

I'm 6'5" - I have no problems in a 9000. The only time you might is if it has an electric sunroof fitted. This will steal a little more headroom.

If its a P reg you should have a steering column that is adjustable for reach - I ran one for a year with the fixed column (first year that the driver's air bag was fitted)it was nowhere near as comfortable.

Cheers

Alyn

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have a 9000 V6 Griffin with elec sunroof and elec seats and I find that my head brushes the roof - rather annoyingly as the material has a tendency to snare hair. I am only 182cm and i have the seat all the way back and down and would rather it went further. My advice is to go for a relatively long drive to see if you truly can get comfortable in the car. I travel a lot for work and often hire different cars from airports for rather long trips. It is amazing how much you really discover about a car when the thrill of sitting in it has worn off and the kilometers start to clock-up. I have found that many cars that appear fine after a shortish test-drive, can be very uncomfortable for neck and back on longer trips. I have no such problems in my 9-5. This car was designed with a key consideration being that humans are generally bigger nowadays. The decision is yours, take the car for at least a 30min drive.

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
try www.tesco.com for insurance[/b]
I've got a P reg 2.0Eco fully comp with 5 years protected no claims for just over £340 from tesco and a K reg 2.3FPT fully comp with 4 years protected no claims for £415. Both cars parked on the road and doing about 14K a year.

Considering that the quote from my existing insurers (frizzell aka Liverpool Victoria) was over £1100 with no protected claims I am more than happy!

Steve

·
Registered
763 Posts
At 6' 7" I am surprised that the 9000 appears fine to you, doesn't the centre column interfere with your vision when looking right? I am 6' 1" and at times have problems with the vision to the right

1 - 15 of 15 Posts