Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed some gorgeous Kumho Ecsta MX's ... all I have to say now is wow. I guess I shouldn't expect too much from the Pirelli P6000's that were standard on the later year Viggens ... but the difference is staggering. The compound feels much softer, and I'm suspicious they might wear out much sooner, but the treadwear rating is 220 and the Pirelli's were only 180.

The hugest difference between the two makes is tracking! The Pirelli's would "wander" about, and small changes in steering wheel position didn't change the direction the car moved. But with these Kumhos even the slightest change results in exactly the right amount of moving difference. This is probably because unlike the Pirelli's the Kumho's are unidirectional.

Another big change is the noise. The Pirelli's were always a little noisy, never really noticed how much so till now. I still have two Pirelli's on the back and the noise is so distinct you can hear that what little noise remains comes from the back of the car. Can't wait till all four are changed.

As for grip, the Kumho's have an excellent compromise. The compound isn't so hard that it's twitchy, but it's hard enough to keep straight tracking. The shoulders don't give so much that the cornering is sloppy, but they aren't so hard as to be unforgiving. I couldn't ever give the car 100% throttle in 1st gear even once moving with the Pirelli's, but the Kumho's stick with a very slight amount of slipping. (Kind of like racing slicks stick, even though they slip a little bit while sticking.) Also because of their unidirectional nature the torque steer seems to be ever so slightly reduced. Anyway ...

Great replacement summer tire for the Viggen! Only $115 a piece (69 pounds for the British folk), and all around just a good deal. Can't speak for other sizes, but the 215x45 ZR 17's are great.

Comments? Other tire suggestions?

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Adrian W:
[qb]  I guess I shouldn't expect too much from the Pirelli P6000's  [/qb][/b]
Indeed. I am always telling people on SSc that Pirelli P6000 are pants

Other tyre suggestions?

I reckon Gislaved are pretty good VFM and Dunlop Sport SP9000 are excellent. Others on this board regularly have discussions on tyres

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
I've found the Bridgestone Pole Position S-03s to be fantastic too... they do slightly go off in low temps (under 8degrees)

I'm trying out Uniroyal Rain Sports right now on the Audi.. seem a good rain tyre by all reviews.. will see.. NL gets wet winters..

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm driving an ng900 with 18"rims (225/40r18)as shown on our website WWW.SAABTURBO.NL. I've got Dunlop SP9000 wich is recommended by a prof. saab tuner in the Netherlands.

The performances of this tyre is extremely good. Has good traction, low noisy etc..

In those very cold days I drive bridgestones 16" winter tires.

Oh I hope its gonna be summer again soon!!!

best regards,

Sander

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sander..,

How in the world did you get 18's on that newgen...

must be the offset of the wheel.., cause from reading your site...I see that they are 8.5 wide.
but if my german helps me read your site a little, it appears you've also lowered your car with eibachs.

Looks good.

I'm looking to do the same with mine, but ask myself how, after noting my 17inch BBS have trouble with a little extra weight in the rear.

Any suggestions?

DC

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi All,

i have Kumho 712 ecsta supras on my sonett II,i also know of more race sprint competitors that use these tyres in the road class,they have very good reports and are not that expensive,i have 195x55x15 on all four corners and they cost around £45 each.
The bridgestone S03 is also a good drivers tyre,but the old S02 is missed by a lot of competitors,this was a dual compound tyre,the more it wore the stickier it became.

Dave

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by sanderviggen:
[qb]I've got Dunlop SP9000 wich is recommended by a prof. saab tuner in the Netherlands.

The performances of this tyre is extremely good. Has good traction, low noisy etc..
[/qb][/b]
These are excellent tyres IMO.
Dunlop Sport SP9000 are as recommended by Hirsch Performance - which is why I have them fitted in my Hirsch 17" alloys

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks,

18" is perfect for this car! I don't have much time now because I'm at work. I don't know the offset. This weekend I will find out for you

regards,

Sander

ps indeed, dunlop is recommended by Hirsch

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I'm just off to Belfast from Dublin to get 4 Toyo Proxes T1-S at a really good price of £66 each fitted.

I was going to try the Bridgestones but not at nearly £30 each more.
I have to admit I cannot fault the Toyos and with the bad weather already here I'll feel a lot more confident on my long journeys home!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Originally posted by /john:
[qb][/b]
These are excellent tyres IMO.
Dunlop Sport SP9000 are as recommended by Hirsch Performance - which is why I have them fitted in my Hirsch 17" alloys
[/qb]

Just be wary of taking the SP9000s on the track. I managed to chunk mine at the Nurburgring. Also, you should see the SP9000s in Hirsch's shop that they have used for track testing.
They were terribly chunked almost to the point that the tread pattern was nearly indistinguishable.

Otherwise, as a purely street driven tire, they are indeed quite good tires. Mine are chunked from the track but not so bad that they are not useable. I now have some S03s on some other wheels for driving at the track.

·
Registered
11,343 Posts
Originally posted by Eric (9-3 Hirsch):
[qb]Just be wary of taking the SP9000s on the track.  I managed to chunk mine at the Nurburgring. [/qb][/b]
Thanks, Eric. Mine went on the track at Anglesey at about 1000 miles old. There was no discernable damage to the tread pattern - but given the amount of liquid sunshine we had on the day, I think that the cars did not take as much stress as if the track had been dry. Nurburgring is somewhat different track to Anglesey, though

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I have the Kumho 712 ecsta supras on the Carlsson, and as soon as I've managed to wear them out they are coming off, they are absolutley terrible!!!

I now have a couple of yoko's on the front as the car was almost undriveable with the Khumo's

The Aero is in S03's which give really good grip, but I've toasted the front 2 (barely visible tread...) and well worn the rear 2 (2-3mm left) after Hethel last month.

Anglesey barely touched them in the rain in June.

Andrew

·
Registered
114 Posts
Can anyone recommend a good tyre for a c900T16s. Tyre size is 205/50 16. Or is 195 a better bet? I have Pirelli P6000`s on front and will be replacing them next week or so.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I think you might have clearance problems with the 205's. I'm told 195's go on no problem. I'm going to put my 9000 Carlsson 16" Aeros on my 900 Carlsson next weekend and they have 205x50's on so I'll have first hand info on whether there is a clearance problem or not.
Oh, and I'd recommend Toyo T1-S's, just got 4 nice new ones on my 9000 Carlsson and its like having a new car again!

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Originally posted by Rage
Can anyone recommend a good tyre for a c900T16s. Tyre size is 205/50 16. Or is 195 a better bet?[/b]
As Mark says, you'll have problems with rubbing on anything wider than 195s. Anyone thinking about fitting wider than 195s could do worse than look at Jeff and Royce's site where there is a lot of info on this.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
My old C900 Carlsson had 16"'s and the prev owner had fitted 205/55*16's which rubbed everywhere front and rear.

I dropped them to 205/50*16's which cured the rubbing at the front but not the rear.

I then dropped the rear's to 195/50*16 and that just about cured it (still used the then (1992) easier to find 205/50*16's for the fronts). I did also have the extended rear bump stops that C900's had with 16" rims.

The Carly's were more prone to tyre rubbing partly due to the excessive wheel arch trims they had...

Andrew

1 - 20 of 41 Posts