Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Has anyone fitted P225/50R16's on their SAAB 16" rims? I want to go wider than 205, and these 225's are the closest to the original diameter. I like the thought of 225's anyway.

Pics would be great if anyone has any to offer.

Have a good day,

tony
01 9³ SE Conv 5spd

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I've been runningb 225/50*16 on my CS aero on aero rims for 5 years now. No problems at all.

Most people don't even notice that tey are not the correct sized tyre

Andrew

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
The 225's add quite a bit of extra crnering grip and turn in. They also lay the power down much better in 2nd and 3rd. Braking is quite impressive to when not on warped disks.

Stanley. I'm sure we are still officially on a drought here

Anyway, the Aero is the clean one if you ask the chaps who were in the lakes 2 weeks ago....

Andrew

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scaero owner,

thanks for info and pics.

Are the Aero rims 6.5in wide? Ever seen these on a 9³? People over here in the US freak about putting 225's on SAAB's even though a guy tested 235/40r17's on a Viggen with no rubbing.

I just didn't know how this section will fit. I like the how the tires look on your rims.

BTW, I have had absolutely great luck with Dunlop tires, so I want to us the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 in the 225/50r16 size. There are a lot of choices in this size.

Thanks, again,

tony b

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
The aero rims are 6.5's and the tyres sit on them really well and give a nice crisp corner and with those michelins a nice sidewall profile.

225/50 prices are similar to 205/55 over here.

my NG900 SET auto has the super aero version of those rims and they look nice

you should have no problems at all with 225/50's

Andrew

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Andrew,

Excellent, thanks again.

Michelin MVX4 Energy's came stock on my other car. I didn't like the wear rate and wet grip. I replaced them with Dunlop D60 A2 and now with SP Sport A2 and never looked back.

Now the Pilot's look like a much better tire, but Michelin's can go between $50 and $100US over comparable Dunlops. Consumer Reports shows the Dunlop SP Sport A2's scoring higher than the Energies this time around. Last time, a few years ago, the Engery's outscored the D60 A2's.

Anyway, the shoulders do look great on the Aero rims. The SP Sport A2's seem a bit more rounded, but are showing higher grip than the previous, D60 A2's, esp when wet. I have never seen the 5000's in person. Crossing my fingers.

You are right, the cost difference between the 205's and 225's is a mere $10US, max. Cheap upgrade when considering traction and safety.

Can't wait. Only a couple thousand miles to go.

Have a good day,

tony b

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Michelin MVX4 Energy's came stock on my other car. I didn't like the wear rate and wet grip. I replaced them with Dunlop D60 A2 and now with SP Sport A2 and never looked back.[/b]
Energy saving tyres WON'T offer as much grip as say a sport tyre. Saving energy in a tyre means minimising friction so that the car coasts more freely, loses less power through the tyre as heat and therefore returns higher mpg. Any car with over 100bhp/ton needs a sticky tyre really, even if it is at the cost of some fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jason,

Quite right. A little background though. My other car is freakin' 1996 Dodge Stratus with a 2.5l Mitusbishi V6 with an automatic transmission that allows manual shifting. Can't wait to replace this with a 2000 through 2002 9³ 5dr 5spd (hopefully in one of those beautiful blues) within the next year. It weighs in at about 3,500lb and has 168hp and 170ft-lbs (all the way up at 4,300rpm), but with substantial drivetrain losses.

When I made the switch from the Energy's to the D60 A2, I did not notice any substantial drop in mileage (maybe about 1mpg max), even though I went from 195/65r15 to 215/60r15. I was quite impressed as this was a major fear. Michelin did/does tout it's rolling resistance being lower, and one does pay more for the Energy-spec tires. Though, the D60 A2 cost half as much and seemed twice as good. Of course the Energies were worn and only got 41k miles vs the D60 A2 that got 53k miles.

Go figure. I do not plan to see how far the 215/60r15 SP Sport A2 go, but I have been impressed so far. The rated mpg for this car was something like 19city and 26highway, I think. We never got more than 29 on road trips with the Energy's and I typically get between 21 and 23mph average, currently. I am a more or less agressive driver.

I am hoping the change from the 205/55r16 Pirelli 6000 to 225/50r16 SP Sport 5000 will yield similar results: Stickier, safer, with similar mileage, and no rubbing. I generally get about 28mpg average on the SAAB with a removed intake snorkel (behind the foglight), a K&N, and BCPR6ES plugs. Exhaust mods on the way.

Strange, huh?

Have a good day,

tony b
01 9³ SE Conv 5spd

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey,

Update. I just test fitted the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 225/50r16. They do not fit!

Okay, they fit, but only clear the bellcrank for the tie rod ends on the strut by about an 1/8th inch or so. Everybody at the tire shop, including me, thought that the tire would flex or roll more than an 1/8th inch during hard cornering.

I like the gearing where it is now (the engine turns about 2,500rpm at 70mph), so I will be staying with the freaking stock size in these Dunlops. I will have to wait until next week. BTW, these Dunlops don't come in 215/50 or 215/55r16. The other Dunlop options were too expensive (Sport 9000's) or they were h-rated.

Oh well.

Have a good day,

tony b
01 9³ SE Conv 5spd

1 - 12 of 12 Posts