Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am a noobie here.
I came looking for some specific advice. I have a '95 9000cde 3.0 liter V-6 non turbo. I am replacing my timing belt as mine malfunctioned in traffic. (long story)
My timing marks were mis aligned in the process. I am now in the process of aligning all the marks(4 overhead cams altogether). My cam sprockets have 2 marks each and this is confusing.
My manual says nothing of this. I am lined up with the most prominent marks on the gears but afraid to fire it up as I don't want to damage valves. Been sitting like this a week while searching for some answers.
Sorry if this long boring story is making your head hurt. Can someone please offer some helpful advice. Thank you in advance for any help.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
How far apart are the two marks? If they're a long way apart it's quite easy. You should be able to turn the crankshaft to top-dead-centre (0 degrees) and have all the cam lobes (on both inlet and exhaust) on No. 1 cylinder (by the timing chain) pointing straight up with those on No. 4 more-or-less holding the valves fully open. You might have to go round once again to get this condition as the camshafts rotate at half crank speed.

If you can do this, the correct mark should be obvious. If you can't do this, you've aligned it with the wrong mark.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hope this makes sense, the 2 rear cam pullies and the 2 front pullies are both the same, ie no 1 and 2 cam pullies are the same parts and like wise 3 and 4, for belt replacment you align cam 1 with notch 1, cam 2 with notch 2 and the same with cams 3 and 4, hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.