Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 94 2.3 Eco has just developed timing chain rattle at 106k is it advisable to get it sorted straight away or can i leave it for a while, the car is running fine no loss of revs or anything the reason i ask is i am totally skint having just paid out for new alternator,brake calliper,and Bushes.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Sorry to bear bad news,but it needs sorting,I have just replaced both chains and was horified to find the bottom pulley had no teeth,just indentations,and the chains did not rattle that badly at that,sorry.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Is that not a low mileage for the chain to have gone?

If it were mine, I would check out the tensioner firstly. They have been known to stick, allowing the chain to slacken when really it is OK.

<edit>
Ooops. I forgot I wasn't in the C900 forum. I am not sure how accurate my post now is though I suppose it is still worth checking the tensioner.
</edit>.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Cheapest options would be to replace the chain with a 'split link' unit and also the tensioner,but as Mike says you would normally find wear on the teeth of the gears too.
This could cost from about £80>300+ for just the parts (depending on the balance chain side of things
).
But after all is said & done (my 93' 2.3 CSE is on 143,00,rattling & still going) its what you want to spend on the little blighters to keep them on the road as to which route we take...
happy chain-ing
G.

·
Registered
68 Posts
to be a bearer of good news my dads 2.3T Griffin in on 221,000 miles on the original timing chain and head gasket

you can replace the timing chain from underneath but not sure about the tensioners so don't let a garage tell you to have the head done as well.

I've had this done on my 2.3T Griffin and cost is approx £400-£500 w/o head gasket.

also make sure you take it to a saab specilist and not your local. If you live in London I would recommend Dave Palmer at Millenium Saab - best mechanic I have ever seen and honest as the day is long!

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
To know that RichE's dads car is on its original head and chains,suggests that he has had it from new,that would then prove that regular servicing payes dividends.
As many of us are not in that enviable posistion , I would suggest investigation as soon as noise is heard,chains and sprockets cost about £600 an engine rebuild would be horrendous,yes you can replace the timing chain with a split link,but you can only change one tensioner,and you cannot check sprockets without taking the chest off.neither of the chains on my car showed any wear but the bottom sprocket was no longer worthey of the name.
If you are a lottery winner,then go to your local shiney Saab dealer,if not find a good independant or do it yourself.
One final word of warning,Saab are apparently only ordering spares as you order from them,so far I have waited two weeks for a couple of idler pulleys,oh and a "O" ring is on back order.
franchised dealers are NOT on my Christmas card list.
Ps: The timing chain cannot be accessed from beneath,it has to be done from upstairs.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It may make you feel better to know that my MY93 2.3T auto had its complete timing chain system changed at only about 60k *km* !!! (Luckily this was before I bought the car - though I would have thought Saab might have paid for the work as the car was driven very gently and has only done 10k km a year ever since it came onto the road. It has only just passed the kilometric ton and is now 10.5 yrs old.)

(Can this site be programmed so that 10.5 stays together instead of being broken off at theb end of the line?)

Harry

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
you can replace the timing chain from underneath but not sure about the tensioners so don't let a garage tell you to have the head done as well.[/b]
This is right, head does not need to come off - timing chain cover can be removed and chains replaced - I'd describe this as 'from underneath'

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.