Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 93 9000cse 2.0 i which has developed a strange rattle,the car has done 186000 miles with full service history,the noise seems to be coming from the timing chain area,having owned a few Japanese motorbikes I have learned the dreaded camchain tensioner noises just wondered if these cars are known for this woe and if so is it a sod to fix!I don't think it's main bearings as there is no knocking noise and she still pulls like a train,any help will be mucho appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I've had a look and listen the noise is coming from the timing chain area but it's not a light rattle,almost a heavy rustle,is it possible for the timing chain tensioner to stick and if so is it a easy job to get to it,looking at the Haynes manual it seems to be near the top of the head at the rear?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Sounds like the chain has worn (normal for the mileage quoted), in which case the tensioner has probably run out of travel.

Usually worth replacing tensioner and chain as a minimum. But need to check sprockets (and slippers) as teeth can be worn off by time chain due replacement,. If sprockets and guides/slippers are worn, need a full replacement.

Hence fee can vary from £100 (cut and shut - if you negotiate) to £350+ (but avoid the dealers who charge ana arm an leg!).

·
Registered
776 Posts
Giles at Abbott Racing recently quoted me 100 quid to replace timing chain "in situ" as they put it, as oppossed to whole works.
As it turned out, I got it done by regular man, with head gaskets etc at same visit...
Andy

·
Registered
346 Posts
It sounds as if the timing chain is getting slack.
it is better to change it now as 1500 miles down the road it will go on you without any warning and probally do in about 12 valves. the job is easy if you take out the wheel arch lining which then gives you easy access to all the parts, depending what oil pump you have make sure you use new oil seals. best of luck and if you need any more info just email

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Originally posted by gelcoat:
[qb]If you need spare parts for SAAB try www.europarts.com they supply orginal parts at low cost. eg ignition module £130 euro £53. the web site is good but does not list all the parts so give them a call.[/qb][/b]
American based Mercedes parts place?

Oh and welcome to the board gelcoat!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.