Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again........ :cry:

My little lady has developed a nasty attitude with a metallic ring to it.

My car has touched 126k and to my knowledge the timing chain has never changed. The downside is, that I am waiting for my Speedparts upgrade.

It is for a 96 (n plate), 2.0 lpt. What parts would I need and how cheaply can I get the bits and bobs?

Thanks!!!!!!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
also,

Having spoken with my dad, he says that if the chain was ready to go, the noise would be constant where as this noise only appears on cold starts (occasionally) and only generally lasts for the one day. It might be jockey wheels?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Just had a split link timing chain done last week at WMSS. Chain and gaskets were around £80, not sure of exact labour costs as I had other bits done, but it was no more than 2 hours, so you get change out of £150! A cheap day out compared to some of the upgrades your gonna get addicted to

One of my less financially painful visits and the service was faultless as ever

Just a bit of a trek for you

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Are there any long-term issues with fitting split link chains? Is it a shorter replacement interval? If not then there doesn't seem much point going any other way. I just ask as mine needs replacing. If they are both essentially the same once replaced then the only advantage I can see with doing it myself with a non-split link is that I also get the oportunity to get the balance chains/shafts out...but at the expense of loads of extra hasstle. Otherwise i may as well soend a few extra notes getting WMSS to fit a split chain and save myself the trouble.
Kev

·
Registered
323 Posts
Originally posted by sgould:
[qb]When you do a split chain you take the risk that all the unseen sprocket wheels and tensioners are OK. [/qb][/b]
True enough and I must admit I was a little wary myself. However following the exemplary service and standard of work I have received from WMSS I totally trust John and Paul's opinions. I had the timing chain done as after 135k miles it hadn't been done so I felt it time to do it for peace of mind given the upgrades I have done and will do in the future. There was no real noise coming from the engine to suggest wear and my car has had FSSH up to 110k miles and WMSS since then so its been looked after.
The advice I was given from the genius's( geniui? )at WMSS was that they very rarely see problems with the sprockets and tensioners and so a split link procedure was a perfectly safe one and it is also a Saab reccommended procedure as performed in main dealers too.
You can also take into account £150 for split link chain or not much change from a £900 for both chains, all tensioners and sprockets etc if you do the works.
To sum up, I am happy with the condition of the engine as I know it has always been meticulously maintained, I am happy with the advice from WMSS, so I'm at ease with the slight risk of not knowing the condition of the sprockets etc.
You weigh up the pro's and cons and jump!
And I can then try and convince the missus I just saved us £700

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Just curious, Scotty (and to the others who did or are considering the split link procedure) - how do you know it's the timing chain and not the balance shaft chains which are making the noise?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Very good question John, which I was about to ask if you hadn't.

I recall though that in the 'Haynes' there is a procedure to see if the tensioner has come to the limit of it's travel, in which case the chain needs replacing. I think you take it out and measure it; put simply.

This won't tell you the condition of the balance chains though: they could be worn too.

I seem to remember reading on the forum ( or somewhere) of people doing a chain job to find all the sprockets almost toothless...........

Harvey

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by JohnCC:
[qb]Just curious, Scotty (and to the others who did or are considering the split link procedure) - how do you know it's the timing chain and not the balance shaft chains which are making the noise? [/qb][/b]
I can only assume it's the timing chain from the area the noise "appears" to be coming from. Could be jockey wheels, tensioners, alternator, anything! The car is currently have the wastegate checked in the garage and no doubt the noise will be identified

·
Registered
454 Posts
The chain wears first, as the chain lengthens it then wears out the sprockets as there is a mismatch between the pitch of the sprocket teeth and the chain rollers. So if you get the chain replaced before it lenghtens too much you save the sprockets. Split links are no problem if joined properly, I use a split link Primary chain in my BSA B44 which transmits 34 BHP from the engine sprocket to the clutch. This is before the cush drive so it is also handling the forces generated by a 4 stroke single cylinder engine which are the worst of any power plant. configuration.

·
Registered
128 Posts
My '96 CSE 2.3 fpt (113k)developed a nasty noise a while ago that the technicians at City Saab diagnosed at timing chain slop.. I stripped it down to find that in fact it was the exhaust balance shaft sprocket that had failed... no teeth left and an awful but intermittent grating noise.
Now, I'm no expert, but did a fair bit of research on this before doing mine, and what I found turned out to be fairly typical.. timing chain was fine, but the balance mech was shagged.

A pull-through is all well and good, but IMVHO, valid comments have already been made about putting new chain on worn sprockets... but if that doesn't solve the problem, then you've got to do a 'proper' job to get at the balance mech.

A pretty good measure of the condition of the timing chain can be had by how far off the cam sprocket you can lift the chain while its under tension.. if it's reasonably snug and can't be lifted more than a mm or so then it's probably ok... if it feels sloppy on the sprocket then it's donald-ducked...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.