Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's s time for a timing chain replacement before it jumps off & puts someones eye out.

Car is a 1990 2.3 non-turbo.

How much of timing gear normally needs replacing?
New chain is obvious but how about crank & cam spockets , guides etc. Does balance shaft drive system need doing at same time?

In addition - any pointers towards cheapest supplier - I know eurocarparts do most of the bits but is anyone else likely to be cheaper?

·
Registered
330 Posts
It seems to depend on the budget as what get replaced.
Some people may only replace the chain & tensioner
just to get the noise down,others will do the lot; chains,sprockets,rails (both timing & balance side of things).
As far as prices go,you will find people like German & Sweedish/ecp will charge about the same for the parts (which will include some GENUINE parts),but you will pay more if you get a garage to 'supply & fit'
At the end of the day you will find the 'you get what you pay for' syndrome comes into effect.
Happy chaining
G.

·
Registered
8,216 Posts
I understand the balance shaft gears on the earlier 2.3 engines (like yours) weren't correctly hardened. It appears to be the conventional wisdom to replace these and the balance chain when replacing the timing chain on a 2.3 of that vintage.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
I would have expected a '91 to have had them changed a few years ago.

My '91 carly had it's gears and chains changed in the mid '90's. I probably need to keep an eye out now that it's 163,000m

Andrew

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.