Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been done to death but I need some advice quickly (16/11).
I'm looking at a '95 2.3T with FSH & 94k. When you blip the throttle by hand when under the bonnet, the timing chain gives a brief rattle when coming back to idle - at a guess, 1500-2000rpm.
This sounds like a death rattle to me - I've never heard it on the others I've seen. Has anyone any direct experience or advice?
Should I walk away??

·
Registered
243 Posts
Clasic symptoms of a timimg chain that needs replacing - probably be even worse/more obvious if you were to drive it. Not a 'death rattle' but if you have other options about the same price etc etc I'd go for one of those instead

·
Registered
207 Posts
Agree I had that rattle on my 9000 CS Carlsson for about a month. Then I had a loud bang when it let go. OUCH, or should I say £1600 worth of ouch. Try and find one without the rattle or negoiate the price right down to pay for a new chain and tensioner to be fitted. Say a good £750 to cover it

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ask your local dealer for the price on a split link chain. This can be done in situ with no dismantling. This job is main dealer only unless you can get the tools.
Parts approx.£160 + 1HR Labour.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.