Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just replaced the head gasket on my 92 CD B202 engine. My query relates to the reinstall of the t/chain with the inlet and exhaust sprockets following Haynes directions. I am unclear as to how I can be absolutely sure that I will not put the chain back on for example a tooth out thereby horlicksing the timing. Any advice or tips gratefully received.

Colin

·
Registered
552 Posts
Start by ensuring that the flywheel markings are on 0 degrees.

Make sure that the marks on the camshafts line up with the little cutouts on the first bearing caps.

Put the exhaust sprocket on - the mark/line on it should be vertical to the head.

Fit the intake sprocket exactly the same.

Pull the chain tight between the crankshaft pulley and the exhaust sprocket, fit it to the crankshaft sprocket then to the intake sprocket, ensuring that there are 15 chain links (ie the gaps) between the sprockets.

Hope that is intelligible!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
When you fit a chain or belt, you should always turn the engine at least twice by hand. It's to make sure that the engine turns ok and to take up the tension then you stop the engine in the timing marks to ensure they line up properly with everything in place. Never try to start the engine without doing this as if you're wrong it will cost a lot to put right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts