Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 185,000 on the clock and the chains becoming slightly noisey, nothing alrmign but more than my 103,000 Anni.

I'm after advice about what to do and maybe where to buy as in Saab compared to pattern parts.

My local Saab dealer has very kindly listed al the parts required with prices, £620!!!

Previous posts talk about more problems with the balance chains than the balance ones.

I intend taking it the cover off and see what is worn. A rough plan could be both chains, maybe balance sprockets, and worn guides.

A local, very trusted Saab mechanic, recons only use Saab chains but sprockets etc can be sourced elase where. The pattern chains wear too quick. But previous posts have mentioned the obvious, putting a new chain on worn sprockets.

What does anyone recommend? I intend keeping the car for the next 200,000, so I guess I won't scrimp, having just shelled out 1k for the rusty windscreen surround, Bilstien dampers, and a stainless exhaust!!!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I think you are taking the right course - take the cover off and inspect. If you are removing the cover, it would be foolish not to replace the plastic guides and the chains. These parts can be bought from Saab (maybe cheaper via Elk?) reasonably cheaply, so it's probably worth doing so.

GSF sell individual bits, but I'm not sure what quality and they certainly were missing some of the items needed for my car.

You can get complete timing chain kit and complete balance kit (usually Scantech) from some indies, which often are the cheapest way of getting everything, but do you need everything? I bought these, but I think in hindsight it was unnecessary.

As I say, chains and guides, stupid not to, but sprockets, next time I'd inspect condition before shelling out on new.

Actually as a result I have a lot of left over good sprockets so if you find you just need one or two, message me!

The only part I'm not sure about is the tensioners. I'd probably replace the balance tensioner "just in case", because you can't tell if it's working and you can't get to it easily.

The timing chain tensioner of course can be replaced quite easily at any point, so the same doesn't apply.

You'll also need water pump O-rings and a sealant, like Loctite 518.

Oh - and use of a big windy gun is a real boon for getting the crank pulley bolt off

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi John,

Thanks for the advice and backing up my ideas.

I'll buy the bits I'll definitly replace, like chains, guides and seals etc, oh and the balance chain tensioner. Still need to investigate where, as whilst Saab parts are good quality, they're prices are for profit, so may go else where.

May very well take you up on the sprocket offer, where are you in Dorset as I'm right on the border near Crewkerne?

Just need some time to pull it all to bits, I'm sadly, looking forward to it, but alas have no air gun, so it's big hammer....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.