Saabscene Saab Forum - Saab Technical Information Resource banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided that I'd like to sell my 1991 c900 and buy a 9000 Aero.

I don't have a massive budget and would appreciate some lay-man's guidance on early Aero's, ie. those of the early 1990's vintage.

I've had a very quick look at BillJ's excellent site but would also appreciate some comments on your experiences, both good and bad, with this model!

TIA!

·
Registered
600 Posts
In my humble opinion, get a 93/94 model because you getan airbag and switchable traction control. Also I would go for a manual as they are 225 bhp rather than 200 bhp for an automatic, and the manual seems to suit the car better.

Good points
-- speed. I've had mine 4 years and I still grin like an idiot when the turbo comes in.
-- economy. A manual will do almost 30 mpg if driven a bit sensibly, they are are'nt too complicated so local garages can do a lot of what might be neccessary.
-- Capacity. They will hold wife/kids/half of ikea
-- Well made. Seem to be better (especially trim) compared to 900's.
I could go on (& on & on)

Bad points:
-- They do go wrong, They don't seem any worse than other SAABs but then again they get driven harder watch:
Head gaskets (£500)
Cam chains @ 160,000+ miles (£500)
Gearboxes, they whine then break, but they can go on for years before ... (£600)
Front discs, 1 year is good
Seizing fromt calipers
-- On long journeys the suspension gets a bit wearing , especially after your 900.

In summary, if you like spirited driving get yourself a 9000 AERO, with the exception of a much newer AERO, everything else seems a boring waste of money.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Personally speaking, I agree with everything above, but would add that if you can run to a 95 N reg there is a very good chance you won't get the traction control system and will avoid all the problems with this system.

Look all over, there is a classifieds section on this very site, go top right to the drop down menu and there is another there. Also try Autotrader, Findit.co.uk and Fish4cars.

Be prepared to travel and good luck. Last time I looked on autotrader there was 8 in the UK between £2K and £4K!! One of them is mine!!

Correction, make that FOUR in the UK @ 18:22 11/12/03!!!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
yep - all good advice.

I have a 1996 Aero with 98k miles
As far as i can see you either go for a low mileage one (90k or less) but these are very rare now OR go for one that's had lots done to and been well looked after but might be up nearer 130+k miles.
I avoided TCS as it does get a bad name due to expense when it goes wrong (post 1994 cars dont have it I think - or at least it's switchable by then).
I agree with the manual gearbox - its sort of defeats a bit of the point of getting the aero if the power is down due to the auto.
1996 on also has a heatplate on the inlet manifold fitted in most models made then. Removing it gives you a good few HP released (say 5-10 tops)and better response for the price of a gasket. (not just aeros)
Mine needed a few vaccum hoses replacing - cheap but fiddly - I think most will need/will have had this done.
DI pack goes at about 100k miles (150gbp)
Runs way better on Optimax than 95Ron - economy a bit better on Optimax so 1/2 compensates for price. Mine sits at a steady 34mpg
Gearboxes are a bit of a weak link - if its had a new one with good proof then you're laughing...I i nail mine from 2nd to 3rd, I can get a little crunch on 3rd which is signs of things to come in 10-20k miles or so.

Generally the car goes like a rocket but the brakes dont exactly inspire.

When I looked i avoided modified ones like the plague as I didnt know what was good or bad. - I'd quite happily pick up a well cared for mildly modified one now though. (mainly thanks to this forum)

Brain dump finished

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
one other thing that struck me was that the gearing is very long - certianly aint close ratio! - but the engine laughs off any nonsense from that quarter (usually with a bit of wheelspin). Check the previous owner has good tyres - if a car has cheepies then its a sign that they have cut corners elsewhere...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Post 94 cars don't have TCS - I've had M and N plate versions and neither had it.

On mileage, I picked my N plater up in June with 64K on and FSSH - so there are still some low mile ones about. Now got 80k on it and been tweaked about a bit by Abbott....

·
Registered
368 Posts
hi well i bought a aero 9000 97 its got 170k full vikingsaab history. last owener rep plenty motor way miles. its auto still on orig cam chains . minto cond. all black i paid £2800 it needed basic things like rear box. bushes. vac hoses and its a grin factor to drive i carnt fault it i drove from essex to devon to get it. long way but what a drive home
ive had saabs over 5 years i would not settle 4 any other

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Stu,
Obviously go for the best one you can afford, but I'd definately avoid one with TCS. Full Saab SH would be preferable but it's likely that most earlier ones and/or higher mileage ones may well have had indie services by now.

Even the best ones can damage your wallet though, mine was a low mileage (45K) one owner, FSSH, etc.,etc., yet it still damaged my wallet to the best part of £3K in the first 18 months....

Best of luck with the Aero hunt,
Graham

Not needed anything other than routine servicing since though....apart from an exhaust, so it was a good excuse to fit the full JT downpipe + system...

·
Registered
114 Posts
I was running a 9000CS Auto and a TVR Chimaera until around 6 months ago when I bought a '93 Aero with FSSH. I have to admit, I was expecting to really miss the performance of the TVR, but the Aero has so much torque that it still provides the grin factor.

I opted for a manual as the auto does seem to miss the point a bit and driving both back to back proved that! I haven't driven one with TCS, but reading reviews, it doesn't sound appealing.

Since owning it I have had to spend money though. Check the exhaust manifold studs, synchro in all gears when accelerating hard, rear anti roll bar bushes, engine mounts, headlamp wipers. Check the ACC works properly and the aircon is ok (I had to change the condenser and it was a pain).

Overall very happy though. Insurance is good (Norwich Union £297) and fuel economy is excellent for the performance (average 30.8 MPG).

Good luck
Simon

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've had my Aero for a couple of years now, paid a premium for very good condition and 70,000 miles, now has 120,000 + on the clock with no major issues.
Had abbott big disk kit and bushes, now thinking of more performance - exhaust and ECU.
With experiences gleaned from the list and my own, I would now happily tout round for one with a lot more miles and the right mods.
Thoroughly expecting many more miles from mine and have yet to drive anything that makes me as happy by being fun and practical. My average mpg over 50k miles is now 33mpg dead and it does get some boot, though not all day every day.

Good luck - look at a few, when one grabs you as the right one, buy it.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for your comments - the hunt is on, however I've yet to find "the one". The way things are going I think I'll take my time over this one so it may be sometime yet.

There's a nice P-reg black Aero at St George - it's only done 39k miles, but it's circa eight grand

Oh, and it's an auto..

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Originally posted by Stunut1:
[qb]Thank you all for your comments - the hunt is on, however I've yet to find "the one". The way things are going I think I'll take my time over this one so it may be sometime yet.

There's a nice P-reg black Aero at St George - it's only done 39k miles, but it's circa eight grand    :eek:  

Oh, and it's an auto.. [/qb][/b]
Abbotts have an original Metallic Red '93 L reg with 40K, but have not yet put the engine back together. I would be very tempted by that, even in dismantled (head off) state, but I am guessing that they would have Pricey ideas for it.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
Stunut

Oddly enough SaabKat and I are thinking of moving in the opposite direction -from a 2.3FPT Auto (K reg) to a 900 for her and possibly a 95 estate for me (once I get a job!).

I think its always good to share experiences and views on each model

Steve

1 - 15 of 15 Posts