1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did a compression test and got the following results
..........dry.........squirt of oil down plughole
cyl 1.....180psi.........190psi
cyl 2.....180psi.........190psi
cyl 3.....155psi.........165psi
cyl 4.....170psi.........178psi

Could this be the start of the head gasket going?
Think I'll check the torque settings tomorrow.
I'm getting a bit of oil vapour smoke out of my oil catch tank which if I had left it as per Saab design wouldn't have noticed but...

I'm having problems with my fuel regulator but have got a temp fix going and have set the pressure to 3.5bar to compliment the uprated fuel pump and injectors, however, do I really need to go higher than 3 bar now everything is capable of delivering more than standard?

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Piston rings ?
they only last 200k...
That would account for some vapour from your crankcase

Time to get the beast out from under that tarp...

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Originally posted by ylee coyote:
[qb]Piston rings ?
they only last 200k...
That would account for some vapour from your crankcase[/qb][/b]
If it does need piston rings, I'd also say go ahead and drop the fully tuned lump in. Obviously it will take a bit of setting up but once it's done you can take your time about stripping down the old lump.

TBH, for your race tuned engine I'd consider going for a Trionic conversion. Not an easy job, but probably easier than finding someone who can do a decent LH Jetronic/APC remap.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Originally posted by Jason (Mr Torque Steer)[qb]but probably easier than finding someone who can do a decent LH Jetronic/APC remap. [/qb][/b]
Any of you pre-Trionic guys contacted Jak Stoll, he reckons he can do custom maps for LH Jetronic???

Scroll down to the bottom of this page.
Jak Stoll

·
Registered
494 Posts
I have seen Jak Stoll on another Saab board (one based here in the US) and he does seem to know his stuff. I know that there are members of that board using his fuel maps and I have heard nothing but positive comments.

IIRC, he can custom burn a chip for you with information you provide concerning your hardware setup (which is kept on file for future modifications) or if you can get your car to him, he will set everything up for you.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I have talked to Jak Stoll (over the net) and he will hopefully be helping with the mapping of the '87 9000 Turbo...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts